Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th November 2022, 06:56 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Brass hilt briquet type hanger....British cutlass?

In 2020 I posted a thread on this munitions grade 'briquet' titled "The Lowly Briquet". In the discussion I had brought up the research over the many years Ive had this sword (since 1966) and the only declarations of classification by authors in resources claimed it was a British foot artillery gunners hanger.
One example shown had the name Trotter on the blade and it was seemed c. 1814 foot artillery as noted.

As we have been discussing naval cutlasses on the concurrent thread on the M1804 British cutlass, I did not wish to detract, so thought it would be good to post this on its own with posing this question.

The hallmark cartouche in the brass hilt in my opinion is that of Paul Storr, who was a renowned goldsmith and silversmith who fashioned wares for George III and IV, and first used the PS as his hallmark in 1792.
While these cartouches were typically used on in precious metals, it is known that Francis Thurkle (silver hilts) in 1790s placed his initials even in work regardless of metal used.

There was a distinct penchant for copying French designs in some weapons in the 1790s, and the French 'briquet' was of course well known, and had been seen as a naval cutlass.

As far as has been discovered, there is no reliable record of this briquet type hanger used by British artillery units despite the entries in a number of references showing these as such.

In the 1790s, there were concerns of French invasion even prior to the Napoleonic campaigns, and there were civilian efforts to establish 'home guard' type assemblies. There were also concerns to arm vessels for threat of attack.

As Paul Storr was not yet well established as the renowned silversmith he became in the 1790s, but did have facilities for casting metals (Bezdek notes he was a cutler and hilt maker) perhaps this might have been an early 'ersatz' cutlass for arming British vessels?

While obviously thinking 'outside the box', this is the perfect place for the knowledge base here to come together on this conundrum.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote