Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st March 2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Gehazi

Default collection for commentary

Hey everyone, I have been lurking for a bit now, and several of you have helped me in my collecting, I thought I would post a few pieces for your thoughts, I do not care about values; just ideas on origin and age, and only if you are interested in the subject.

I primarily collect headhunter weapons, mandau especially

a few notes--

1. dha , kachin? guessing metropolitan , any thoughts on age and origin ? scabbard pictured certainly not the original
2. how old is this? I think old, I can make out very very faint old aso patterns, almost impossible to see in a photo- this is the one I am most curious about
3. My very first real mandau, purchased from antiques dealer online, age was claimed to be first quarter of 19th century, it has a very fine balance, and I think he was not lying, but again, expert eyes appreciated!
4. perhaps my favorite mandau , purchased from another dealer, any ideas on the tribe and age appreciated-- dealer dated it 3rd quarter 19th
5. same deal included this one, simply love its design ; scabbard is replacement, would like thoughts on age of the blade.

I appreciate this forum and everyone here, you guys really make collecting more fun and much easier.-- If there was not a limit on pictures I would have made this much bigger, but we can go section by section-- no comment is necessary , as I do have a rough idea of where and when most of these come from, I just like to see what the learned minds here would add.

I have purchased mandau from several of the members on this forum I think, and can't thank you guys enough for all your help and advice as I have pursued this hobby. I will not set it down as long as I live, they just enchant me in a way few things do.
Attached Images

Gehazi is offline   Reply With Quote