Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st October 2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Andy Stevens

Default Two interesting wooden spears...from where??

Hello all. These two spears have us stumped! The dark wood example we think could possibly be Australian Aboriginal, the other barbed type maybe from Papua? After much research we have no definite answers and ask the collective wisdom of the forum for help
The dark wood spear has a dense, hard wood tip very firmly attached to a lighter wood haft.
The lighter barbed spear has a nice and unusual grain pattern and has been well carved.
Dark wood spear overall length:106cm
Barked spear :150cm

We are unable to take full length pictures today due to bad light, they will follow asap!

Any opinions very welcome. Many thanks!
Attached Images

Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

The long smooth horn pointed one is South Sudan and very nice. Still thinking about the second.

Here at Pitt-Rivers Oxford.
http://southernsudan.prm.ox.ac.uk/details/1973.16.2/
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Andy Stevens

Hello Tim and thank you for the information and link to the Pitt Rivers collection, a truly fantastic resource. We're used to handling different types of metal spears but encounter few made from purely natural materials. This is a heavy, brutal weapon and would have been very effective in close quarter combat. We're still searching the net for info on the barbed spear and will update the post if we find anything! Regards Andy and Karina
Old 1st November 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Hi

Would be interested to see more images of the spear with the barbed head, including full-length.... Australian Aboriginal is a possibility, but could be from elsewhere.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:22 AM   #5
fearn

On the barbed one, I keep finding myself thinking "It's from Touristania." That's an uncharitable thought and I hope a wrong one. The issue is that I can't figure out what they were going to use those big huge barbs for, wherever it was made. Unless there's evidence that it was deliberately blunted...

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:17 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THERE ARE TWO SPEARS I HAVE PICTURES OF THAT RESEMBLE THIS FORM OF BARBED SPEAR A LITTLE. NO DOUBT THERE ARE OTHER SIMULAR EXAMPLES FROM VARIOUS OTHER PLACES.
THE SINGLE SPEAR WITH STEEL TIP IS IDENTIFIED AS ,ENGGANO ISLAND OFF OF SUMATRA.
THE SECOND POSSIBILITY IS IN A GROUP OF SPEARS SAID TO BE FROM LUZON, PHILIPPINES I DON'T KNOW IF THE TIP IS WOOD OR METAL.
NEITHER OF YOUR SPEARS STRIKE ME AS MADE FOR TOURISTS. I LIKE THEM BOTH.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Nonoy Tan

Not Philippines.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Andy Stevens

Colin: We are trying to get some better pictures sorted out today including full length shots and close ups of the barbs.

Fearn: At first glance we too thought it could be a tourist item but once in the hand and given a better look see, our opinion changed. It feels right, but like you point out its purpose is rather obscure-perhaps a dance spear, could be funky in the right disco light!

Vandoo: Thanks for the pics, very nice and interesting grouping and some are indeed similar in design.

Does anybody recognise the wood used? The dark pattern in the grain is rather attractive and the wood is pretty strong, capable of use. The search continues.......

A&K
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Andy Stevens

Here are some more pics of the spear!
Attached Images

Old 5th November 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
colin henshaw

Thanks for the further images. However, I cannot really identify this piece - Australian Aboriginal spears I have seen are of a close-grained wood, not like this example which looks like teak ? with that pronounced stringy grain.

I'm puzzled by the scorching to the barbed head, which look as if done by a metal implement. Its true that Australian Aborigines used flat wooden tool/weapon surfaces for making fire, but I doubt if this is the case here. Also there seem to be vice and file ? marks to the wood, which is odd. The point does appear a bit blunt to make an effective weapon.

So, unfortunately I cannot say what this is with any certainty - maybe other forumites have some ideas...

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Andy Stevens

Hi Colin
Thanks for looking the spear over. I'm holding the thing in my hand as I type, and I'm none the wiser as to its origins or purpose. However, I would say that somebody put cosiderable effort into the making of spear, some of the barbs are still sharp and appear to have been capable of inflicting injury. The patterning in the wood is curious, perhaps this is a dance or ceromonial item? An interesting thing. Thanks A&K