Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A swept hilt sword for Christmas

This one has just been reserved, to be with me before Christmas
I hesitate between calling it a sword or a rapier; the 30 mm blade (1,18") is a bit wide for a rapier ... before a better opinnion.
Seller dates it XVI century; i wouldn't reject beg. XVII century ... again until a better opinnion.
One quillon only; no other one missing.
A beautiful counter balance pommel.
Double edged blade length 93 cms (36,5").
Grip wiring restored in the XIX century.
Origin would be central Europe.
The fainted mark on the blade seems to be of these generical symbolic symbols ?!
Gentlemen, please tell me what you think.
Fernando

Ah, a rather important detail; seems to me this is a left hander ... which would make it a bit more rare. Besides, i am a (circumstancial) left hander myself .
Can anyone confirm this?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 03:51 PM   #2
kisak

I agree on the left handed part, there's something sinister about it... Or rather I base it on where the side ring and counterguards are placed.
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
katana

Nice sword Fernando,
(got 'bored' with little cannons then ) ...the markings look like a variant of the 'eyelash' mark ...it even has the 3 dot grouping often seen with this marking. Can't help with the blade ID though

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

What a beauty Fernando!!! Merry Christmas
These are I believe generally termed swept hilt rapiers, although with these heavier blades were more arming swords with military application. I think your date range is pretty well placed, and I would consider 17th century quite likely. The faceted bulbous pommel corresponds closely to an English type of c. 1630's (#77, A.V.B.Norman).
The markings are difficult to see clearly as the contrast between the bright cleaned area and age pitting have obscured the definition, but the parallel sickle marks with the well known three dots are clear, as observed by David.

This assymetrical hilt style is essentially Italian, and is seen on numbers of variants which include early styles of schiavona. I have a schiavona which has this distinct assymetric form in the hilt, and actually dates end of the 18th century, the tradition carried forward.
Norman notes that the style was during 16th century, but was present as early as late 15th.....with revival in the 17th.

To me these markings in an unusual completely parallel rather than opposed configuration suggest this blade is likely Italian and 17th century, probably early, rather than the Styrian blades often with 'sickle' marks and later.
The wider scope of variation in my opinion indicates the actual application of these as used by bladesmiths in compliance with guild ordinances, than the more familiar pattern of sickle marks applied spuriously on trade blades.

Congratulations Fernando on your new adoption!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 05:23 PM   #5
fernando

Thanks a lot for your input, guys.
Much obliged for the treatise on these things, Jim.
Looking ar Norman's, instead of having managed to 'select' one of his pommel types, my eyes fell on sword of plate 19, (between pages 112-113), where a pommel similar to mine (?) is mounted. Such sword is dated second quarter XVI century.
You will pardon me, but i decided to (also) consult the 'competition' (MyArmoury). The opinnion is that the blade of my rapier corresponds to Oakeshott type XIX , and would be dated around 1590.
It was also confirmed that it is a left hander. I am surprised that the (knowledged) seller didn't point out this detail, like most would do. Something that wouldn't be worth of note to many, but indeed an added value in collecting termns, in my understanding.
Fernando
Old 25th November 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
fernando

Ah, i would like to mention, for general perusal that, these hilts in Portugal (an Spain) are called 'lace' hilts ( Laço - Lazo).
I like this naming.
Fernando
Old 27th November 2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Thanks a lot for your input, guys.
Much obliged for the treatise on these things, Jim.
Looking ar Norman's, instead of having managed to 'select' one of his pommel types, my eyes fell on sword of plate 19, (between pages 112-113), where a pommel similar to mine (?) is mounted. Such sword is dated second quarter XVI century.
You will pardon me, but i decided to (also) consult the 'competition' (MyArmoury). The opinnion is that the blade of my rapier corresponds to Oakeshott type XIX , and would be dated around 1590.
It was also confirmed that it is a left hander. I am surprised that the (knowledged) seller didn't point out this detail, like most would do. Something that wouldn't be worth of note to many, but indeed an added value in collecting termns, in my understanding.
Fernando
Good call on checking 'My Armoury', with some very useful resources, and the notes in Oakeshott and left hander info Fernando. This is indeed good support strengthening the earlier date, which well corresponds to the unusual configuration of these 'sickle marks'. Outstanding !!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
fernando

I got the thing well before christmas; but only had a quick look and wraped it back to add to the gifts pile.
Now i can handle it. A considerable weight (1,300 Kg.) ... at least for me, being no Tarzan. Edges rather sharp. Beautiful pommel.
... And indeed a left hander .
I know nothing about (these) swords, but something in its swept enhance reminds me of certain Schianovas .
This to say that this specimen would indeed be Italian.

Fernando

Attached Images

Old 30th December 2009, 09:25 AM   #9
cornelistromp

Hi Fernando,

congratulations with your very nice and extremely rare early rapier.
I specialy really love it because Im a lefthander myself

I found a similair one, a ground find in Holland. It is dated 1560-1570 and probably Dutch.
I also think your rapier is of the third quarter of the 16thC.

best regards
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:22 PM   #10
fernando

Thank you so much for your input, Cornelis .
Ik waardeer het werkelijk .
I am so pleased to see a sword with a design similar to mine!
Now i have a point of reference.
Thanks once again.
Fernando