Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12th July 2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Evgeny_K
Member
 
Evgeny_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Question Battle axe for ID

Dear colleagues,
I'll be very grateful for any help in identifying of this axe.
It has unusual form I've never seen before - something between the bardiche (half of the blade) and czekan (its rear part). It was found near Moscow.
Here are dimensions: width - 17 cm, height - 15 cm, diameter 2.5 cm.
Best regards
Attached Images
   
Evgeny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 08:00 PM   #2
broadaxe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 305
Default

Appears to be Ottoman, 16th century. This could be, however, Russian, under Ottoman influence. The hammer side is typical, some are more pronounced, the lower lip sometimes joins the haft (berdiche-style), and sometimes just very close to the haft.
Askeri-musee, Istanbul:
http://media.snimka.bg/5038/016331556.jpg?r=0
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 01:05 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,985
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Evgeny_K
Member
 
Evgeny_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi


Thank you, Ibrahiim! But this reference is not useful.

P.S. Some descriptions are incorrect (particularly - "18TH-19TH C. SLAVIC/RUSSIAN AXES")
Evgeny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Evgeny_K
Member
 
Evgeny_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
Appears to be Ottoman, 16th century. This could be, however, Russian, under Ottoman influence. The hammer side is typical, some are more pronounced, the lower lip sometimes joins the haft (berdiche-style), and sometimes just very close to the haft.


Thank you!
So it could be a local adoption of Turkish battle axe?
Evgeny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 11:33 AM   #6
broadaxe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 305
Default

Well, could be. Because of the condition there is no option to see any marking or decoration to tell between. Because it was found near Moscow it can be Russian. As you probably know, Russian arms & armor show great influence from Turkish Ottoman and Persian.
I recommend to look in the book Russian Arms and Armour by Yuri Miller (I have it in English).
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Evgeny_K
Member
 
Evgeny_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
I recommend to look in the book Russian Arms and Armour by Yuri Miller (I have it in English).


Nice book, but it doesn't offer a more concrete answer to my question.
Evgeny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 02:51 PM   #8
Roland_M
Member
 
Roland_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 411
Default

This is a medieval bearded axe of unknown probably european origin, maybe a viking axe.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 05:00 PM   #9
kronckew
Member
 
kronckew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CSA Consulate, Rm. 101, Glos. UK: p.s. - Real Dogs Have Feathering.
Posts: 2,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
Well, could be... Because it was found near Moscow it can be Russian. ...


many turkish weapons of all types, tens of thousands in fact, could be found outside the walls of vienna after 1683. after a polite discussion with the polish winged hussars, in a spirit of camaraderie, the turks decided they had overstayed their welcome and didn't need them any more, some of them went home. a large majority decided to stay permanently, tho they were essentially motionless thereafter.

did similar large turkish ambassadorial parties ever get close to moskva?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 06:47 AM   #10
ChrisPer
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
many turkish weapons of all types, tens of thousands in fact, could be found outside the walls of vienna after 1683. after a polite discussion with the polish winged hussars, in a spirit of camaraderie, the turks decided they had overstayed their welcome and didn't need them any more, some of them went home. a large majority decided to stay permanently, tho they were essentially motionless thereafter.

did similar large turkish ambassadorial parties ever get close to moskva?

Remember, weapons taken as trophies elsewhere are hauled home, and may end up treated as rubbish in a generation or two.
ChrisPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.