Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th September 2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Bill M

Default GREAT RUST REMOVAL process.

I put together this concept using a plastic garbage can with 6 steel rebars as electrodes. It works great! I am cleaning a mandau (private collection buy, the guy died and the wife put his stuff in the basement ARGH!.)

Should have taken a picture of the blade beforehand, but it was wall-to-wall red rust. After a two day soak, and one or two rubdowns with a plastic brush, most of the rust is gone.

Usiing an old battery charger for the power source.

Try this at your own risk. I am using it on a heavily rusted blade of no great value. There may some adverse effects I don't know about, but it sure looks like it is working well.

Obviously can't remove pitting where the metal has combined with oxygen, but sure seems easier and less invasive than steel wool or sandpaper. The pictures show only the process done to the blade. No steel wool, sandpaper or anything else hzs been used

The solution does not seem at all caustic, but remember it is water and you may not want to get your wood handles wet for a sustained several days. The bubbles do come up and the mandau handle is wet.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 05:41 PM   #2
katana

Hi Bill,
just a suggestion.....perhaps to prevent water penetration in a wooden (or similar absorbent material ) handle... 'cling film' (I'm not certain whether this has the same product name in the US) the handle and for added security a few elastic bands wrapped round that
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 05:55 PM   #3
The Double D

I will added that process to my www.martinihenry.com/links.htm.

Here's a couple of others with a slight variations.

Metal Care and Restoration
• Electronic Bore Cleaner http://ca.geocities.com/snidey@roger...recleaner.html
• Electrolytic Rust Removal http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoep...lyticrust.html
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 06:13 PM   #4
S.Al-Anizi

nice patina, and neat method
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Bill,
just a suggestion.....perhaps to prevent water penetration in a wooden (or similar absorbent material ) handle... 'cling film' (I'm not certain whether this has the same product name in the US) the handle and for added security a few elastic bands wrapped round that
GREAT Idea! We call it Saran-wrap here. Possibly cling film also.

Thanks
Old 9th September 2006, 07:18 PM   #6
katana

Hi Bill,
after following the link provided by DD ...there was a concern regarding this method.....

'there is a chance that metal cleaned this way may be subject to hydrogen embrittlement. This can happen in many processes such as electroplating or welding. It should not be a problem unless you are cleaning hardened steel such as saw blades, knives, or chisels. If you are and you intend to use the item (rather than simply displaying it) you may want to try baking the part in an oven, I've heard of using temperatures from 300°F to 440°F (150°C to 225°C) for several hours.'

Apparently hydrogen atoms 'get into' the steel structure and weakens it....
HOWEVER.....there is the possibility that this only occurs when electro-plating.
I have checked several websites regarding this method of rust removal...a 'sword' site and a site that deals with old tool collecting....BOTH state that this is a SAFE method.........bearing in mind that we are talking 'hardened steels in both of these sites.......it seems that 'hydrogen embrittlement' would be either unlikely or of little consequence.....

But I am no metallurgist....
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 09:04 PM   #7
ariel

In my experience, non-scouring Brillo pads and liberal WD-40 work very well. Bit smelly, but the results are instantaneous and there is no danger of damage to vulnerable parts and no concern about possible interactions with the blade. I suspect the mandau was patinated, and the patina was lost too...
This electrochemical method looks more suitable to semi-industrial uses.
Also, knowing my cats, I am a bit leery of finding one or both of them de-haired
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 10:40 PM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
In my experience, non-scouring Brillo pads and liberal WD-40 work very well. Bit smelly, but the results are instantaneous and there is no danger of damage to vulnerable parts and no concern about possible interactions with the blade. I suspect the mandau was patinated, and the patina was lost too...
This electrochemical method looks more suitable to semi-industrial uses.
Also, knowing my cats, I am a bit leery of finding one or both of them de-haired
Hi Ariel,

I don't like patination on metal. Love it on wood and ivory. I can make a blade look very patinated quite easily.

But I am concerned with metallurgical changes. These blades could house spirits, maybe did at one time. Of course maybe brillo and wd 40 is invasive. the electrochemical process seems less invasive than rubbing or worse yet, a power buffer!

Sheesch, where do you start and end in this arena?

Gonna go check on my mandau blade. Still cooking.