Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th November 2022, 12:54 PM   #1
rumpel9

Default Сlassification of Indian swords.

I trying to figure out the classification of Indian swords. The fact is that there are many contradictions in the specialized literature on this topic. Therefore, I would like to hear an opinion from those who are interested in this topic and especially live in India.
Talwar and firangi are common terms. Firangi is a sword with a foreign blade. Talwar means sword. At the same time, some swords (talwars) have their own special features and their own names.
So I post photos of various types of swords, the names of which I know. Some types of swords have several photos at once so that the understanding is more complete. If anyone else knows the names of certain types of Indian swords, please write about it.
Foto 1. Classic talwar
2. Goliya
3. Sirohi
4. Tegha
5. Katti
6. Sossun pattah
7. Kirach
8. Khanda
9. Patissa
10. Firangi
And I also have a few questions that I can't find an answer to.:
1. Can a sword with a straight blade be called a talwar?
2. What is the name of a sword with a straight blade of Indian (not European/foreign) production without characteristic features, such as kirach, khanda, patissa?
3. Is it possible to apply the name firangi to a sword with a curved blade of foreign manufacture (photo 11)?
4. What is the correct name for the swords in photos 12 and 13?
Attached Images

rumpel9 is offline   Reply With Quote