Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2021, 05:46 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Zulu Weapons

This week seems to be the week of acquiring African Weapons and I believe these 3 pieces that are Zulu. An axe, what I believe to be an old Zulu throwing spear with a broken haft, and a huge, wonderful Knobkerrie. It is the heaviest one that I own and well used, either from pounding fence posts or heads, others can judge.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 12:09 AM   #2
thinreadline

Superb , I do agree , Zulu .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2021, 02:39 AM   #3
Helleri

They all definitely look South African. Given the Zulu are the largest ethnic group there chances are it's all Zulu as well. The Swazi is a little...Odd? Not as pronounced in it's shape as I'd expect. Very ong tang, subtle blade shape. Maybe intended to be used as a tool most of the time while still retaining weapon utility if needed?
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2021, 04:42 AM   #4
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helleri View Post
They all definitely look South African. Given the Zulu are the largest ethnic group there chances are it's all Zulu as well. The Swazi is a little...Odd? Not as pronounced in it's shape as I'd expect. Very ong tang, subtle blade shape. Maybe intended to be used as a tool most of the time while still retaining weapon utility if needed?
[edit] Okay this axe was bothering me and I could swear I'd seen something very similar to it before in my reference material. So I've been digging and found something in one of my glossaries. The description says it's a Basuto axe (which is a Bantu ethnic group like the Zulu who live largely in Lesotho in South Africa).
Attached Images

Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 03:46 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks to all for the comments and I stand corrected & educated; it certainly looks like the Basuto axe that you have shown.
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:26 PM   #6
drac2k

As I said before, I'm kind of on this African weapon streak. Here are 4 more clubs of which I believe that one is definitely Zulu; a nice example which I believe some idiot drilled a hole in the back to hang on a wall. I am thinking about getting a piece of hardwood dowel to fill the hole.
The other club with a face, I think it could be an African Go-go club. I went to the African weapon website and they had a similar example, however, theirs had an angry scowl, and mine has a frown. In my opinion, it has the balance and feel of a throwing club, but I couldn't find an example of Go-Go throwing clubs and I don't even want to tell you what I found when I first searched the web for "African Go-Go Clubs."
The other 2, I think that they are African, but I'm not sure.
Help
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2021, 05:38 PM   #7
AndreasM

The axe is Shona and not Zulu.
AndreasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2021, 04:49 PM   #8
drac2k

Thanks; still could use some help on the clubs.