Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th October 2021, 01:10 PM   #1
tanaruz

Default Bicol Ginunting

Hi all,

Our first Bicol blade, a ginunting. With an over-all length of 32 inches, with a 23-inch blade. The hilt is made from carabao horn and the scabbard, a hardwood called balayong (barayong).

But the point of interest for us is the mythical creature on the pommel. The son of the former owner informed us that according to his late father, the design on the pommel is an Onglo (hence, an Inunglo). When we started asking people who are knowledgeable on Bicol blades- they shared their opinion that the creature on the pommel might be of a 'pinaniki' design(in the semblance of a bat).

But the son of the former owner insists that it is an Onglo (Onglo is a mythical beast in semblance of an ape). And looking at the flaring nosetrils- it does look like an ape (to us), ha ha.

What do you think?

Note: this Bicol ginunting came from Matnog, Sorsogon.

Enjoy,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 02:02 PM   #2
chmorshuutz

Hi,

I'm no expert in Bikol blades, I've never seen a hilt design like that before. But I'll show my minasbad's hilt which also has a figure with flared nostrils, I just forgot to ask the maker the specific term when I commissioned it. I always though it's pinaniki, but I reconsidered when I saw yours.
Attached Images

chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 06:19 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default Bicol ginunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorshuutz View Post
Hi,

I'm no expert in Bikol blades, I've never seen a hilt design like that before. But I'll show my minasbad's hilt which also has a figure with flared nostrils, I just forgot to ask the maker the specific term when I commissioned it. I always though it's pinaniki, but I reconsidered when I saw yours.
If it's ok with you Sir, I will show these pictures to Bicol bladesmith who's quite knowledgeable on these type of blades. We can have his idea on the mythical fiture on your hilt.

Regards

Yves
Old 19th October 2021, 01:13 PM   #4
tanaruz

Default Bicol Ginunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorshuutz View Post
Hi,

Hi,

The pommel of your Bicol blade is an INUNGLO (Onglo- a mythical Bicolandia beast-just like mine, that resembles an ape. In some other local folklore- it is sometimes referred to as a tikbalang, a monster with the head of a horse).

Try to google what a tikbalang is.

Regards

Yves
Old 17th October 2021, 02:55 PM   #5
Sajen

Nice and rare sword, any clue or guess how old it is?

Here are two from my collection, both are antique and very thick at spine, near the handle, 12 and 11,5 mm.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 06:17 AM   #6
tanaruz

Default Bicol ginunting

Hello Sir,

The son of the former owner is around 45 years of age. The father (original owner), passed at age 75. So, if the father had this blade commissioned when he was 20 years old (assuming), he was 55 when he passed. The age of the son is 45 so this blade must be in the minimum of 100 years old.

But if the father had this at a much younger age of 20, then it hit the 100+ years mark.

Kind regards

Yves
Old 19th October 2021, 01:16 PM   #7
tanaruz

Default Bicol ginunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz View Post
Hello Sir,

The son of the former owner is around 45 years of age. The father (original owner), passed at age 75. So, if the father had this blade commissioned when he was 20 years old (assuming), he was 55 when he passed. The age of the son is 45 so this blade must be in the minimum of 100 years old.

But if the father had this at a much younger age of 20, then it hit the 100+ years mark.

Kind regards

Yves
Hello again,

According to a local bladesmith who does Bicol blades- these two are not Bicol blades. In my opinion (only mine)- they could be Aklan tenegre/tinegre talibongs.

Regards

Yves
Old 19th October 2021, 04:06 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz View Post
According to a local bladesmith who does Bicol blades- these two are not Bicol blades. In my opinion (only mine)- they could be Aklan tenegre/tinegre talibongs.
Hello Yves,

I am a little bit confused, about which two blades you are speaking here?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 12:08 AM   #9
tanaruz

Default Bicol ginunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hello Yves,

I am a little bit confused, about which two blades you are speaking here?

Regards,
Detlef

Hello,

The ones you're posted ( 2 blades and 3 pommels pictures). I've asked a long-time Bicol bladesmith and they're not from Bicol.

Regards

Yves