Default Keris Related Bali Images

This is worth a 5 minute look.

Pure entertainment, no more than that.

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos...rt=mostpopular
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 04:40 AM   #2
rasdan

G'day Alan,

Thanks for the link. We normally see participants in "Keris Dance" in Bali stab themselves keris due to Rangda spell, but they become invulnerable from the energy of the Barong; if I am not mistaken. These pictures does not look like a "Keris Dance" event. Do you have any idea on this Balinese ritual?
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 06:36 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Rasdan, I did not take these Bali pics, I don't know what is going on, they just seemed like interesting pics to fill in 5 minutes.

As I said:- pure entertainment.

No lessons thereby attached.
Old 13th January 2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Pusaka

I am guessing yellow is a royal colour in Malaysia since everything in the pic of the royal palace is yellow including their clothes.

I have also noticed keris are often in yellow bags, on yellow cushions or have yellow cloth/ribbon tied to them.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 06:20 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
I am guessing yellow is a royal colour in Malaysia since everything in the pic of the royal palace is yellow including their clothes.

I have also noticed keris are often in yellow bags, on yellow cushions or have yellow cloth/ribbon tied to them.
While yellow can be considered a royal color in parts of Asia, most prominently in China and also in Malaysia, i believe the intention for it's use with keris is more a protective and sacred element. I am not certain that the royal connection also extends to Jawa and Bali where i often find to in association with keris. Keris boxes are often lined with the color and yes, yellow is often used when we find a keris with a ribbon or cloth tied to it. But the color does not seem to be reserved for royal use only as far as i can tell.
I found this in my internet searches on the subject:
"In Malaysia, yellow is also associated with royalty and the Malay sultans; it also represents Islam, the country’s official religion. In Indonesia, yellow is the color of Garuda, the mythical bird that is the country’s national symbol. In Zen monasteries, yellow is worn by the third most senior abbot."
Hopefully that's helpful.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
While yellow can be considered a royal color in parts of Asia, most prominently in China and also in Malaysia, i believe the intention for it's use with keris is more a protective and sacred element. I am not certain that the royal connection also extends to Jawa and Bali where i often find to in association with keris. Keris boxes are often lined with the color and yes, yellow is often used when we find a keris with a ribbon or cloth tied to it. But the color does not seem to be reserved for royal use only as far as i can tell.
I found this in my internet searches on the subject:
"In Malaysia, yellow is also associated with royalty and the Malay sultans; it also represents Islam, the country’s official religion. In Indonesia, yellow is the color of Garuda, the mythical bird that is the country’s national symbol. In Zen monasteries, yellow is worn by the third most senior abbot."
Hopefully that's helpful.
Yes yellow has something to do with protection. When a keris is tied to a house beam yellow ribbon is often used and I think that is no coincidence.

Garuda is the Sun bird so it makes sense that yellow (or gold) would be its colour.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 09:41 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

In Bali the colour yellow is associated with the compass direction WEST (or 'where the sun sets'), and the deity MAHADEWA together with his shakti, DEWI SANCI.

It is a colour of purity, but it is not as pure as the colour WHITE

Yellow is also associated with the human kidneys

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 13th January 2017 at 10:39 PM.