Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd November 2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Brass Bracelet

Hi All
I enquired last week if anyone knew much about Manilla Braclets and no one came back with any information
I purchased the item anyway and have some pictures I would like to share, I am having re sizing problems with PC so i only have one at the moment
Tha braclet if that is what it is weighs in at around .5kg and it looks to have some age to it,
the decoration looks ethnographic (as far as I know) and the incissions have a lot of wear on them
it is 10 cm in diameter and made of Brass i think
The auction was in Ireland and from an old collection of farming and rural items so it did not fit in, catalogue had it listed as a "Bull ring"
what it is or isn't i would love to know
I should have more photos shortly if i can get through PC problems
regards
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 05:53 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Ken,
-You certainly know about the existence of (brass) rings used in the bulls noses, to either tame them or drive them to the market ?
Hopefuly further pictures, especially one of the whole ring/bracelet, will help clarify.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Kmaddock

Hi Fernando
one more image attached
Still having re sizing problems
The ring measures 10cm across and weighs in at 980g so I would think it too large for a bull
again i will try and get more images shortly
thanks for your interest
Ken
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Kmaddock

one more image
ken
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2014, 12:40 PM   #5
drac2k

It could be an old currency bracelet from Africa, worn about a wrist or ankle, much like we carry a wallet ; a hunk of brass or bronze that could be fashioned into a weapon or utensil had great value.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 02:12 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Alright Ken, i was influenced by the auction catalogue, as i already had of these bull "drivers" (don't remember the actual name); but now with the corrected weight i reckon it is bit too heavy for a bull to wander around with .
Then you come up with these bracelets that were more currency units than actual bracelets; i guess your example's interior diameter wouldn't fit an adult's wrist and maybe not even an youngster's one.
There certainly are members around that know a great deal about these things.
Meanwhile if you browse on Tuareg bracelets, for one, you will find similar examples.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 06:35 PM   #7
drac2k

Do you think the inside diameter is approx. 5 CM, about 2 " ; this could certainly fit a woman's wrist or a smaller man. I often encounter WW1 or WW2 uniforms and the average coat size is usually a 30 to 36 ; a far cry from our present day bloated measurements. In an African society where they "eat to live," rather than "live to eat, I could see it fitting.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Ken Maddock

Hi
My wife's wrist fits snugly into the bracelet so yes definitely wearable
Would anyone be able to give approximate age on item and as for origin I assume anywhere in Africa or could the decorations narrow down the region.
Thanks
Ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 11:08 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Ken Maddock ... Most interesting. A brass bangle. Zig Zag pattern culminating in sets of 3 dots formed with an apparent moon sector(new moon ?) inside a circle of dots.... The sets of three dots facing outward..the outer sets... forming groups of not 3 but 5 ...My suggestions are ;
1. Brass in some structures like Indian and Islamic suggests gold and used as ... the reflector of evil...Marriage boxes are clad with brass in both areas India and Arabia... could this be the talismanic effect of the material?...In which case it is likely to be wedding Jewelry.
2. The moons(Islamic?) in sets of three could indicate a triangle which is very much a religious format... as is the triangle formed sometimes indicated by triangular combs... thus perhaps again an Islamic design.
3. The figure 5 suggested in the outer moon decoration perhaps the geometric figure 5... very much an Islamic(but not only) structure based on the 5 tenets of the religion... sometimes seen as a hand with 5 fingers...hand of Fatimah... but often also illustrated geometrically... as also seen on Hirz Boxes.
4. From where...? Not Arabia I suspect...but either India or Africa...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Ken Maddock ... Most interesting. A brass bangle. Zig Zag pattern culminating in sets of 3 dots formed with an apparent moon sector(new moon ?) inside a circle of dots.... The sets of three dots facing outward..the outer sets... forming groups of not 3 but 5 ...My suggestions are ;
1. Brass in some structures like Indian and Islamic suggests gold and used as ... the reflector of evil...Marriage boxes are clad with brass in both areas India and Arabia... could this be the talismanic effect of the material?...In which case it is likely to be wedding Jewelry.
2. The moons(Islamic?) in sets of three could indicate a triangle which is very much a religious format... as is the triangle formed sometimes indicated by triangular combs... thus perhaps again an Islamic design.
3. The figure 5 suggested in the outer moon decoration perhaps the geometric figure 5... very much an Islamic(but not only) structure based on the 5 tenets of the religion... sometimes seen as a hand with 5 fingers...hand of Fatimah... but often also illustrated geometrically... as also seen on Hirz Boxes.
4. From where...? Not Arabia I suspect...but either India or Africa...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I almost forgot... the significance of the zig zag is that of a talismanic snake effect and of course is "the snake" device decorating the item.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Ken Maddock

Thanks a lot for the information, it is nice curiosity item that I am happy to have
Best regards
Ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote