Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd November 2014, 02:47 PM   #31
Royston

Thanks for all the comments Gentlemen, most "interesting"

Regards
Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 04:16 PM   #32
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
... now before you get too excited, theirs had teeth, so maybe your toothless pair might be worth half as much ???.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
... Ill ignore his accusing me of lying, as so you wish...This was first the hit ...
No gladiators arena here; you know better than that. Just pass on to the next topic; this one has had it from you.

Last edited by fernando; 3rd November 2014 at 06:28 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 06:00 PM   #33
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THESE TONGS MOST LIKELY SERVED A CEREMONIAL PURPOSE OR WERE SYMBOLIC SUCH AS SOME TOOLS USED AS SYMBOLS IN SOME GROUPS THE MASONS COME TO MIND. IF THE ORIGIN IS INDIA THIS IS EVEN MORE LIKELY.
SOME METAL WORKERS MAKE INTRICATE IRON OBJECTS EITHER PURELY DECORATIVE OR EVEN TOOLS TO SHOW OFF THEIR SKILLS. THIS SET OF TONGS HAS JUST TOO MANY DIFFERENT TOOLS TO BE USED IN FORGING, THEY DID NOT MAKE A SWISS ARMY KNIFE TOOL FOR BLACKSMITHS THAT I AM AWARE OF THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT TONGS FOR DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS NOT ONE SET THAT INCORPORATES EVERY FUNCTION INTO ONE SET.
THE SAME LIKELY APPLIES TO TONGS USED IN TORTURE WHICH WERE MOSTLY MUCH LIKE REGULAR ONES IN MOST CASES. SOME WERE MADE TO LOOK MORE TERRIFYING PERHAPS OR TO SHOW OFF THE SKILLS OF THE MAKER OR FANCIER AT THE REQUEST OF THE ONE ORDERING THEM ESPECIALLY IF THEY WERE ROYALTY. A RED HOT POKER FOR INSTANCE COULD BE ANY PIECE OF IRON.
AS TO TODAY'S T.V. SHOWS THE TERM REALITY SHOW IS THE LIE THEY ARE SCRIPTED AND REHEARSED NOT DONE LIVE. THEY ARE DESIGNED TO BE SENSATIONAL AND TO ENTERTAIN BUT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN TOO SERIOUSLY BUT CAN SERVE TO PIQUE ONES INTEREST TO DO SOME SERIOUS RESEARCH. WHATEVER THE TONGS IN QUESTION ARE I LIKE THEM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 07:09 PM   #34
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Thanks for all the comments Gentlemen, most "interesting"

Regards
Roy
Cheers Roy, as I recall from our meeting your a true Gent yourself.

Congratulation's on your reinstatement as Lead Euro moderator Fernando!

I hadn't noticed till now....

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 07:26 PM   #35
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Points agreed with, VANDOO but ... it still has to be considered that, beyond all exhibiting features, it also looks as if this device had some practical use, be it cerimonial or ritual, as some of its lines look functionally intentional, while not contributing for its fantasy attitude. Meaning that the tongs "lips" don't completely close, leaving a regular gap, caused by the contour of their front ends. Also the "tubular" interior section doesn't add much to a show off feature, but as a need to fit into it something with a coinciding cross section. ... If Roy doesn't mind me to work up his pictures. .................................................. .....................
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote