Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th June 2005, 02:08 AM   #1
bassist695

Question Help ID this Khanjar

Several years ago I came across a couple old-looking swords that were my great uncle's. He died in 1979, and since he's neither Javanese nor Arabic, I have no idea how he happened upon them.

Attached are several pictures of what I believe is a Khanjar. I haven't seen any on the internet that look quite like it. It looks as though some kind of language on the belt. I'm new at this, and find it all very exciting! If someone could help me locate its origin and age it, I'd really appreciate it. I have a keris as well that is in better physical condition.

Thanks!
Mike
Attached Images

bassist695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 02:25 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Greetings

Your dagger is a jambiya from Yemen They are worn by all males in that society as a symbol of status.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 02:49 AM   #3
derek

Hi,

Ditto what Lew says, and the belt is in good shape, which is rare. You might see these in other parts of the Arabian peninsula as well. The language on the belt is arabic.
Can you provide closer pics of the scabbard? That's where the workmanship is best seen on these.

Regards,
-derek
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 04:14 AM   #4
Montino Bourbon

Very nice, and wider than many I've seen.

There's a possibility that the handle is Rhino horn; you have to look at it VERY close up, preferably with a magnifying lens.There's a fibrous quality to the rhino horn that is very particular.

Congratulations!
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 12:07 PM   #5
bassist695

The attached pictures are the best I can do for now, as the sword itself is at my mother's house. Is there a way I can safely clean this Jambiya?

The hilt is most definitely some kind of bone. Are there rhinos in Yemen?

Thanks a lot for your help. This is very cool. Any age estimates?

Mike
Attached Images

bassist695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Oriental-Arms

As already correctly said, this is a Jambiya (more properly should be called Jannabiya), from Yemen, probably made in Sana’a in the turn off the 20th C. These dagger are common to Yemen only and I do not think that they spread much out, like the Omani Khanjars which are found all over the Arabian peninsula. Good old wide blade. The handle is most probably Rhinoceros horn as mentioned above (difficult to decide from the photo). Rhino horns for grips was very much sought after in Yemen as well as in the neighboring countries because of the belief in its aphrodisiac qualities. This demand was one of the major factors in the almost extinction of Rhinos from East Africa - The major source for supply of Rhino horns to Yemen. The demands still exist today. Similar daggers, with Rhino horn grips but with lesser quality blade are still made and sold today in the bazaars of Sana’a, and in spite the strict trade regulation, Rhinos are still being killed for their horns.

The name Khanjar is more common for daggers in Oman and the Gulf countries.
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 07:06 PM   #7
derek

I saw a lot of these in the UAE, but after thinking about it most if not all were offered for sale by Yemeni dealers........

A comment/ question: "khanjar" is a hindi word adopted in the gulf over time, is it not?
Jambiya is arabic (means "side dagger") and the two are used interchangeably there, as far as I could tell.

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 06:10 PM   #8
ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriental-Arms
As already correctly said, this is a Jambiya (more properly should be called Jannabiya), from Yemen, probably made in Sana’a in the turn off the 20th C. These dagger are common to Yemen only and I do not think that they spread much out, like the Omani Khanjars which are found all over the Arabian peninsula. Good old wide blade. The handle is most probably Rhinoceros horn as mentioned above (difficult to decide from the photo). Rhino horns for grips was very much sought after in Yemen as well as in the neighboring countries because of the belief in its aphrodisiac qualities. This demand was one of the major factors in the almost extinction of Rhinos from East Africa - The major source for supply of Rhino horns to Yemen. The demands still exist today. Similar daggers, with Rhino horn grips but with lesser quality blade are still made and sold today in the bazaars of Sana’a, and in spite the strict trade regulation, Rhinos are still being killed for their horns.

The name Khanjar is more common for daggers in Oman and the Gulf countries.
that is right
In Oman the men wear a decorative or leather belt and ‘Khanjar’( slightly curved dagger) round their waist . In the Yemen the men wear the ‘Jambiya’ , a belt and dagger , the sheath of which can be curved upwards at an almost 90 degree angle. These daggers are very beautiful
----------

jambiya
Ceremonial dagger
Housing Minister of Yemen
to the President of Islamic Republic of IRAN

Dagger - Oman

ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote