Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th June 2015, 06:50 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Another Ottoman Pistol

Hello all. Another weekend, another gun.
Here is another Kubur pistol from my collection. This one is heavily decorated and probably made at one of the many gun making centers in the Balkans. About Mid-19th Century. The stock is decorated with brass dot inlays and tiny brass nails. The amazing part is that only four dots are missing. (Don't know the correct name for these little dots, but I wish I could still buy them). It has the false ramrod and a horn tip at the muzzle. Lock in perfect working order.
I bought this about three years ago from a collector/restorer that was only interested in European guns. He thought it was a Russian pistol.
Anyway, picture heavy, so hope you enjoy. And thanks for looking.
Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 06:53 PM   #2
rickystl

SOME MOE PICS..........
Attached Images

Old 20th June 2015, 06:55 PM   #3
rickystl

AND SOME MORE..........
Attached Images

Old 20th June 2015, 06:56 PM   #4
rickystl

LAST ONES........
Attached Images

Old 20th June 2015, 08:18 PM   #5
Kubur

Hi Rick,
My god, another beauty!
The lock, the barrel and the brass nails, it's so beautiful, a very nice gun and as you said in very good condition. About the brass nails, you have some green inlays inside? Are they made of tainted bone or walrus ivory? Like on the bosnian knifes or some Central Asian kindjal? Frankly I don't know if your gun is from the Balkans or Turkish, too good to be true!
Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 10:00 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Hi Rick,
Well I must say I am envious. Your gun room must be a treasure trove of exciting pieces.
Another lovely pistol. Thanks for showing.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 03:27 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rick,
My god, another beauty!
The lock, the barrel and the brass nails, it's so beautiful, a very nice gun and as you said in very good condition. About the brass nails, you have some green inlays inside? Are they made of tainted bone or walrus ivory? Like on the bosnian knifes or some Central Asian kindjal? Frankly I don't know if your gun is from the Balkans or Turkish, too good to be true!
Best,
Kubur
Hi Kubur.
Thanks for the comments. The green reminds me of the green dyed walrus inlays on my Caucasian rifle. But under magnafication it looks to be tiny pieces of green glass. I can't imagine how you would make these tiny triangle bits of glass and inlay them into another tiny brass dot?? But that appears to be what was done. I've seen this dot decoration on a couple of Tufuk rifles. It would take a skilled jewler-like crafsman - especially back in the period -weeks on end to do this. I thought about making some dots from brass rod to replace the four missing ones. But it would never look right. So I'll leave it alone. I should feel lucky there are only four missing.
I too have often thought that this pistol may have actually been Turkish made. But I can't find any marks/stamps on the gun. There are no marks on the inside of the lock. I have not taken the barrel off because the front barrel pin is covered up by one of the dots
By the way, I mis-spoke earlier. The nose cap, like the false ramrod, is not horn but ebony wood.
Rick.
Old 21st June 2015, 03:40 PM   #8
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Rick,
Well I must say I am envious. Your gun room must be a treasure trove of exciting pieces.
Another lovely pistol. Thanks for showing.
Stu
Hi Stu.
Thanks for the kind comments. Currently, the gun room is a cluttered mess. Sort of embarrasing It's in a state where only one of us Forum members would enjoy rummaging through. I need to order another long gun and pistol rack. But I need to sort things out to see exactly what I need. But I'll get it done this year. It's on the project list.
Rick.
Old 21st June 2015, 04:44 PM   #9
ward

generally those inserts are hollow brass rods with brass inserts then it is heated and seal wax is poured in. then they are cut and polished.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 09:28 PM   #10
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
generally those inserts are hollow brass rods with brass inserts then it is heated and seal wax is poured in. then they are cut and polished.
Hi Ward.
Hmmmm......interesting. I would have never guessed. But it makes sense. Still can't imagine making such intricate, tiny decoration like this. Imagine the patience. Thanks for the information.
Rick.