Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2015, 12:05 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Afghan Powder Flask

I recently received this Afghani Powder Flask, with the metal spout loose. Before I repair it I thought that it would be interesting to show the internal "workings".
Beneath the metal spout there is a wooden conical piece made with a squared wooden peg. This peg and the wooden spout are drilled out to what I am assuming is the correct powder charge for the gun it was made to go with. There is no actual charge adjustment.
The square peg fits snugly into the frame of the flask, which is also wood with "slab" sides.
The cut off slide is actioned by loop grip on the left hand side of the flask body. The whole is covered with leather, shrunk on and stitched around the back of the flask.
Not often that it is possible to see what is inside an item, without destroying it in the process, but this is one of those occasions.
Hope you find it interesting.
Stu
Attached Images

Last edited by kahnjar1; 18th June 2015 at 10:12 PM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 11:08 AM   #2
BANDOOK

NICE FLASK STU,AND INTERESTING TO SEE THE INTERNAL WORKMANSHIP
HERE IS MINE
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Kubur

OK I know nothing about this kind of powder flask.
BUT I've seen the same in a book, labeled Turkish powder flask.
Plus I have seen the same in sales labeled central Asian powder flask and on time Polish powder flask... I guess Turkish are central Asians... Sorry to add some confusion...

Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 09:21 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
OK I know nothing about this kind of powder flask.
BUT I've seen the same in a book, labeled Turkish powder flask.
Plus I have seen the same in sales labeled central Asian powder flask and on time Polish powder flask... I guess Turkish are central Asians... Sorry to add some confusion...

Kubur
No confusion IMHO. It is Afghani.
Old 20th June 2015, 06:06 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Stu.
Definately Afghan. In this case, the loose metal spout is an advantage so we can see the internal workings of the flask. Yes, I see how this works. Turn the flask upside down, pull open the slide, push the slide closed, and you have a specific amoung of powder without have to use a seperate charger. The hole in the block would have been drilled out just enough to accomodate a specific amount of powder. Very simple and neat.
Most of the slides on these flasks I've seen are metal. The slide on mine is a flat piece of wood it's entire length, it appears.
Very neat to see the internals of this flask. Thanks Stu. How do you think you'll approach the repair?
Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 10:26 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu.
Definately Afghan. In this case, the loose metal spout is an advantage so we can see the internal workings of the flask. Yes, I see how this works. Turn the flask upside down, pull open the slide, push the slide closed, and you have a specific amoung of powder without have to use a seperate charger. The hole in the block would have been drilled out just enough to accomodate a specific amount of powder. Very simple and neat.
Most of the slides on these flasks I've seen are metal. The slide on mine is a flat piece of wood it's entire length, it appears.
Very neat to see the internals of this flask. Thanks Stu. How do you think you'll approach the repair?
Rick
Hi Rick,

Here are pics of two other Afghani flasks which have featured previously on the Forum. They have different powder cut offs to mine.

Also here is a pic of the repaired spout on mine......can't muck around with repairs!! The torn leather at the back is rock hard so have (for now) left it as is, in case it breaks off. Will attempt to soften it later on.

Stu
Attached Images

Old 21st June 2015, 09:16 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Rick,

Here are pics of two other Afghani flasks which have featured previously on the Forum. They have different powder cut offs to mine.

Also here is a pic of the repaired spout on mine......can't muck around with repairs!! The torn leather at the back is rock hard so have (for now) left it as is, in case it breaks off. Will attempt to soften it later on.

Stu
Hi Stu.
Yes, mine has the cut-off near the spout section like the two pictured above. But the slide on mine is wood, partly broke on one end. May have to repair that.
Nice job on the repair of yours!! Looks much better now. That torn piece of leather on the back: I had a similar situation a number of years ago with a hard piece of leather. I remember using a leather restore paste that was widely used by car buffs in the car enthusiust community. It was made in the UK and not available in the local auto parts stores. It was too expensive I think (?). But it was really good stuff. Rubbed it in with my fingers on both sides of the leather. Did this every day for about 3 weeks. And the leather finally started turning flexable again. And it didn't dis-color!
Rick.
Attached Images

Old 21st June 2015, 09:54 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu.
Yes, mine has the cut-off near the spout section like the two pictured above. But the slide on mine is wood, partly broke on one end. May have to repair that.
Nice job on the repair of yours!! Looks much better now. That torn piece of leather on the back: I had a similar situation a number of years ago with a hard piece of leather. I remember using a leather restore paste that was widely used by car buffs in the car enthusiust community. It was made in the UK and not available in the local auto parts stores. It was too expensive I think (?). But it was really good stuff. Rubbed it in with my fingers on both sides of the leather. Did this every day for about 3 weeks. And the leather finally started turning flexable again. And it didn't dis-color!
Rick.
What is that brown "banana" to the right of the flask?
Old 21st June 2015, 10:44 PM   #9
rickystl

Hi Stu.
I have no idea what that is. It is a piece of black horn that is hollow on the inside till it meets that wood plug. The tiny exposed nails on the other side of the plug look like it fastened another identical, or similar piece of horn. Maybe to hold priming powder or #11/12 percussion caps? Doesn't make any sense.
Rick.