Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd November 2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Iain

Default Interesting takouba for discussion

I'm afraid I have onl the auction house picture for this, which doesn't show the whole sword, but at least the most interesting bits are visible. Of course more detailed photos when I have it in hand, however I thought it's interesting enough to throw out for comments now.

It's a 19th century piece with a southern style hilt, looks to be a blade of good quality with well struck half moons. However what interests me is the base of the blade and the odd way it's mounted. I've never seen this type of a flange on a takouba before. It reminds me of Indian weapons such as the khanda.

Anyone seen this style of mount before in takouba or kaskara? I have no idea if it's an established variation, something borrowed from the sub-continent or just a random one time innovation by a local smith.

I've attached the forum sized picture and here's a link to the much bigger original.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Nice!

I have seen forte reinforcement plates, adabal, but always rectangular and never of this shape before. It will be interesting to learn if this is such a plate or whether it connects into the structure of the hilt as well!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Iain

Hi Lee,

This is also a new one for me. I've seen various decorated forte plates and stopper plates, but nothing that looked as structural as this.

Just from the appearance I'm assuming it's integral to the guard.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Hello,

This kind of sheath decoration should be Hausa style.
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Iain

Cau Martin,

Thanks very much for the info. You just made my day! I actually just had an attempt to buy a Hausa sword fall through last month.

I've been looking for one that's identifiably Hausa for a while.

The leatherwork on this one had surprised me a bit as it was quite different that what I'm used to seeing on Tuareg pieces.

Thanks again,

Iain
Old 5th November 2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Lee
EAAF Staff

Question A few more scabbards

Martin,

The picture below is of leatherwork from a couple of takoubas of the so-called 'southern' type that also have more brass-work on the hilt.

To me, these look more similar to Iain's sheath above than to the typical Tuareg scabbards coming from Agadez. Do these also appear Hausa to you?
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Sorry for the late reply. I was om business trip and after arrival I forgot this discussion.

Since I arrived to Nigeria 3 years ago, I saw only one scabbard like that Iainīs one - with he same decoration. The sword was broader then the average, the scabbard laether was utterly black (neither red nor brown) with extremely nice patina and the whole handle was (unfortunately, I somehow do not like this material on African artefacts, but this is my problem)-made of alluminium. The sword as whole was nice and "old", used (even the handle). Somebody bought it already. The wendor told me it was Hausa sword. Thatīs all.

Before I worked also in Libya and I was - also - collecting edged weapons. I have never seen anything like this on Touareg scabbards. I think also Leeś scabbards are not typical for Touaregs.

Regards,

Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Iain

Time to revive this thread as I finally received the sword.

Here's the little writeup I did for my website...

A very interesting piece acquired at auction in Sweden. The hilt assembly is brass, heavy duty in construction and well balanced. The pommel is in an old style, very well formed, slight bend at one edge. Guard features interesting decorative motif detailed via pointillism. The entire assembly is covered in a brown substance, possibly paint. I am not sure if it is an original application or a later attempt at conservation. The layer is quite thick.

The base of the blade features an odd assemble with a set of riveted plates supporting the blade at the shoulder. These plates sandwich the blade, rather than the blade terminating when it meets the plates. Therefore the plates appear to be reenforcement rather than a repair to an older blade. The style is reminiscent of some Indian mountings.

The blade itself is well made, good quality half moon stamps and well forged fullers. Flex is excellent and the edge very keen. Tip exhibits extreme sharpening, obviously the blade was in use for a long, long time.

Overall, a good example of a non-Tuareg takouba with several unique characteristics.

I uploaded most of the pics here, there's a couple more here: http://takouba.org/takouba13/
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Im curious about the elongated tip on this blade, which reminds me in profile of the 'carps tongue' blades of the late bronze age in Europe and Britain.
Obviously there is no chronologically possible connection implied, but I am wondering what might have motivated this apparantly deliberate design.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 11:45 PM   #10
Iain

Thanks for bringing that point up Jim. I looked at this one again a little more closely, usually exaggerated profiles are because of sharpening.

However this one, having looked again just now is not. Obviously designed that way.

But I have a theory. The use of large hide shields is well established in Sahel warfare. These were typically carried by Tuaregs and also saw use in Hausa areas, although from what I have seen in very early period photos it was perhaps more a Tuareg defense than widespread among Hausa cavalry. The Tuareg by most accounts engaged in a style of swordsman ship which was primarily made up of cuts and slashes focused towards the last third of the blade (clearly evident by blunt tips and sharpening focused on the last third of the blades). They rarely wore heavier body armor from what I can tell.

However in Hausa land the cavalry adopted thick, quilted armor known as Lifidi, which was apparently very effective against arrows and probably also slashing cuts, due to the multiple layers used.

It would make perfect sense then to see a Hausa takouba adopt a piercing tip for thrusting as can be seen on arm daggers from the area. An interesting note is that the quilted armor lead to an upswing in the use of fire arrows which led to water being carried onto the battlefield expressly to douse the knights!
Old 21st November 2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for explaining that Iain. I knew there was far too much time for a connection, but it seemed interesting to have the concept develop a millenia apart. Interesting on the fire arrows as well!
Excellent!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Iain

Hi Jim,

Well that's only my theory. I could be totally off! I've attached an old post card showing similar knights. In fact, if you look closely the one is holding a takouba with plates at the base of the blade and what looks to be a similar tip. I imagine this style is less well known because unlike the Tuareg, the Hausa areas were more quick to abandon the takouba as a part of daily life. So examples are therefore more rare.

On another note... I would love some input from other forumites about the coating on the hilt. It appears to be paint - I can't imagine it's original to the sword, but added later in an attempt to conserve, but maybe I'm wrong? It looks like it's been on there for a long time.

What's the general consensus? Should it be removed? And if so, how? I've never tried removing oil based paint from brass before. I don't want to end up with super shiny brass.

Best,

Iain
Attached Images