Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 27th July 2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default A bit of Swiss history - forgotten by most

When I walk Dylan (one of our dogs) every morning, we pass a small chapel which has some history to tell.
It was build in 1869 in memory of a battle against Zurich (I think), as they were Protestants, and the army which gathered where the chapel stands were Catholics, and religious wars at the time (1531) were quite common.
This army consisted of soldiers from the counties from Baar, Aegeri (Oberaegeri), Menzingen, Neuheim, Aegeri (Unteraegeri) and Sattle – see the coats of arms. The united army won the battle – see the text over the coats of arms.
The battle is said to have taken place close to the convent Gubel not far from the chapel, and quite close to the canton Zurich.

You will notice hat two Aegeri’s are mentioned. Until sometime in the 18th century they were one community, each with its own coat of arms, but later they disagreed about something and split up.

As we live in the Catholic part of Switzerland, you can find a lot of chapels, although few have such a historic background as this one,

When the emperor of Habsburg died, some regions took their chance and met to enter into a permanent alliance in order to become independent: the cantons of Schwyz, Unterwalden and Uri formed the Swiss Confederation on August 1, 1291.
In 1847 there were still wars between the Protestants and the Catholics from the different cantons, but in 1874 the Swiss confederation was a reality.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018, 08:26 AM   #2
corrado26

I think this story is a real testimony of the stupidity of men: Sensless killing each other in the name of a religion is going on still today. What a progress............
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Corrado26, yes I agree with you, but my message was to show the chapel where they gathered before going to battle.
I have just noticed that on the weapon to the left - Aegeri (Oberaegeri) - the two men seem to be rowing in different directions - one to the right and one to the left.
This is not so both should be rowing in the same direction - to the left - according to all the other weapons of them I have seen.
The other Aegeri - Underaegeri - is shown correctly sailing to the left, and the rest of the weapons seem to be correct as far as I know.
Jens
Old 28th July 2018, 06:08 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Is it my eyes Jens or, the two men are seating opposite to each other, as not uncommon to accommodate in a small boat, but they are rowing in the same direction, towards the left .

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 28th July 2018 at 06:18 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Could be, but to day it looks like this.

They are, I think, supposed to represent the two saints Peter and Paul.
Although Oberaegeri and Underaegeri for a long time were united - I think Oberageri was the first, as they rowed the boat, while the ones frorm Underageri had sails:-).
Old 29th July 2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Corrado, reading you comment once again I find it somewhat strange, as religeous wars have been with us for many centuries

In a way it is quite funny Fernando, that this is the only commentary you have to the picture, as it holds so much more history, which should be far more interesting.

However, it looks as if my time on the forum is running out, but I do hope the forum will not end as the SFI.
Old 30th July 2018, 11:59 AM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Jens, i appreciate your interest in historic events that took place in a region of the Country where you reside, something i confess i ignore. To tell you the truth, i still struggle to learn a fraction of my Country's history.
I made a comment on the position and direction of the rowers as it was yourself that put a particular emphasis on it; which drove me to post a little contribution in the subject. In fact, searching the Internet one can find, not only the Oberaegeri and Underaegeri odyssey, but the successive coats of arms that appeared through all their time, considering that Saint Peter appeared in the Parish bar in 1349 and Saint Paul Paul came later. Both were depicted together for the first time in stamps in the XVIII century. One can even observe that there is a couple current humoristic versions designed by some graphist Angelo Gwerder.

On the other hand, i am afraid i don't see in this topic a motive for your pessimist thoughts about being in the forum and its comparison to other venues as a tragic perspective.

Keep well ... and say hello to Dylan for me

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

Fernando, you have checked it well, and you are right, they do row in the same direction.
Yes these coat of arms are quite old. Strange to think, that Switzerland was united, to what it is today, so late in history.