Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2023, 07:26 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Borneo Parang Ihlang

Going through items which I have had for many years, but apparently never really researched, I wanted to bring this in here for comments, observations from the guys here who really know this stuff.

I use the term parang ihlang to avoid using the more commonly known term and traditional associations in hopes of not awakening sensitivities in todays fragile climate. I understand that these are more used as machetes and in utility use in tribal contexts in modern times.

I have no idea if this is modern possibly souvenir item or authentic tribal item.

In trying to research some references on this, I noticed one with the 'fixture' sort of scrolled on the blade, and the term 'langgai thggang' (sic)? and suggesting these blades are recalling the hornbill bird.

Can you guys offer some insights on this as I admit I have very little awareness of these, and thought it an opportunity to learn a bit on them.

Thoughts on regional or tribal peculiarities (if this is indeed authentic).
These dont seem discussed much recently (I confess not using search yet).
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:37 PM   #2
kai

Hello Jim,

Thanks for showing a nice Borneo piece! There could be more of these shown here, indeed...

Please also the other side of the blade and more close-ups including all parts of the blade! No scabbard?

It certainly isn't a langgai tinggang. Sharpened in saber grind (both sides symmetrical)?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:32 PM   #3
JoeCanada42

I am also quite interested in these, I actually watched 2 auctions end today within my modest price range and I really wanted one, I will come back with the photos as I am curious to find out if they were old. I think one of these will be my next acquisition.. when I can afford it..

I am quite interested in a symbol I have seen on the scabbard and on the blades that I think looks like a closed eye.
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:23 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you very much guys,
Kai, here are more pics. I do not have the sword at hand, and it unfortunately does not have the scabbard.

I am really curious on that odd fixture off the blade.

The inscribing is also curious, it seems deeply applied but not like usual style, more carved.

There are spots in the hilt where something round is missing...what would have been there?
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 12:47 AM   #5
werecow

Albert van Zonneveld's "Traditional Weapons of Borneo: The Attire of the Headhunters Part III: Swords & Knives" has a lot of information about mandau swords. Might be a good reference to check out (and I know he posts on this forum sometimes).
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 01:20 AM   #6
JoeCanada42

I would like to preface this by saying I know very little about the subject
This photo I put together is based on my first impressions.
looking into the Borneo clamp ant, it can jump at prey, fling itself backwards with jaws, and decapitate, aswell as lock down... some ants in Borneo even explode...
Attached Images

JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:53 PM   #7
kai

Exclamation

Quote:
Albert van Zonneveld's "Traditional Weapons of Borneo: The Attire of the Headhunters Part III: Swords & Knives" has a lot of information about mandau swords. Might be a good reference to check out
Yes, definitely.

Just to warn the international audience: The book is written in Dutch; an automatic English translation is available on request though.

Regards,
Kai
Old 3rd February 2023, 09:17 PM   #8
kai

Thanks, Jim!

I'd lean towards identifying it as a tilan(g) kamarau from the Iban. These often have more slender blades but also other blade shapes are known. The engraving does seem to be Iban; also hilts with unusual carvings are not rare with this not very homogenous group (with widely distributed sub-groups).

In Albert's book referenced above, there is a piece with somewhat similar blade shown on page 84. It is identified as jimpul; I believe it fits better with the tilan(g) kamarau though. Iban swords can be pretty varied and often present a mix of features; some may be historical intermediates. However, in most cases I'd assume these to be just variants that defy simple classification. Let's just celebrate the creativity and diversity without spending too much time on pigeon-holing!

There is another group of swords with symmetrically sharpened edge from northern Borneo. You can find examples by searching for gayang on this forum; it's not relevant for your piece IMHO.

Quote:
I am really curious on that odd fixture off the blade.
That's a pretty typical krowit as also often seen on mandau and other Borneo blades.

Quote:
The inscribing is also curious, it seems deeply applied but not like usual style, more carved.
Iban engraving looks a bit different from what you might recall from Kayan or Modang blades.

Quote:
There are spots in the hilt where something round is missing...what would have been there?
It's likely that these held more hair. Any remnants of resin left?

Regards,
Kai
Old 3rd February 2023, 09:22 PM   #9
kai

Forgot to mention, Jim: IMHO an authentic, old piece made for use in the culture. Only the light rattan braiding seems to be a later fix for a now missing resin "ferrule" as usually seen in mandau/etc.