Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th September 2023, 03:00 AM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Pair of Central African knives

Hoping someone can help me pin down an origin for these two African knives. The larger piece with the wood handle is much thicker/more finely made. The other piece may be a currency blade or parade item? I know I’ve seen other examples but the region/tribal affiliation escapes me and wouldn’t know what keywords to use to search the database.
Attached Images

wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2023, 01:08 PM   #2
Changdao

Hello. As far as I know, the left piece is a typical Banda throwing knife. The early ones were fully functional, and very aerodinamic objets made for war. During the XXth century less functional versions (e.g. without edges) were made and their purpose shifted to a more ritualistic one.

The right piece looks to me like it is from the Yakoma or the Ngbandi, but I'm less sure about this one.

Last edited by Changdao; 29th September 2023 at 03:47 PM.
Changdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2023, 11:12 PM   #3
Araña_del_Sol

Hi, the smaller one is a crownless throwing knife of the Banda people, Banda throwing knives seem to all be referred to as "Ondo" although there is a considerable amount of diversity among them. The longer piece is a type of sickle sword which, as Changdao suggested, may be Ngbandi in origin in which case it would be called "Bero" though other neighboring people groups could have produced/used this variety as well.

-ADS
Araña_del_Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2023, 12:52 PM   #4
Sajen

Yes, the one on the right is a "bero" or "mambeli", attributed to the Ngombe, Doko, Poto, Budja and Ngbandi from the Congo.
Compare "panga na visu", page 132, piece 289.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote