Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th May 2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Rugbyboy96

Default Identification of African Spears

Hi all,

I’ve been left a couple of spears by my grandmother, and my aunt claims that they came from Africa. They’ve been hung in the lounge at my nans house for as long as I can remember, so they’re 20 years old at the very least. I’d like to know more about them if possible - I understand there’s a good chance they’re just made for tourists etc, but thought I’d ask you wonderful people for your opinions. If you need any more information or photos, please let me know.

All the best, Matt
Rugbyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Photos will be essential to judge where the spears are from and if they are 'authentic' or 'made for the traveler.'

You may find examples of some variations of African spears in the forums or in the archive of Lew's collection .
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 04:39 PM   #3
kronckew

Some are even made for BOTH indigenous tribal warriors AND any tourists that happen by. ie. the Maasi and Samburu spears. Complicates things.

Photos of your family heirlooms are needed for more precise discussion and information.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Rugbyboy96

Hi all,

Apologies, it seems that my photos didn’t upload, has it worked this time? If you need more photos let me know. (To the admins, I made the mistake of posting a second time, as I thought this first post hadn’t worked, apologies for that too!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee; 21st May 2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added images
Old 21st May 2019, 10:10 PM   #5
kronckew

Sadly, I would classify these as cheap tourist junk wherever they come from. Sorry.

(don't feel bad, I'd bet we all here have a deep dark closet with a few oops 'weapons' of similar caliber where we've hidden them as occasional reminders, or put them out for the trash collectors to take away.)

As we gain in knowledge, our Oopses get better and we are less likely to be tempted to purchase stuff like this. I haven't bought any touristy stuff in weeks. At least none I'll admit to.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 10:15 PM   #6
Rugbyboy96

I expected as much, thank you all for taking the time The sentimental value is enough for me
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:33 AM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Sadly, I would classify these as cheap tourist junk wherever they come from. Sorry.

(don't feel bad, I'd bet we all here have a deep dark closet with a few oops 'weapons' of similar caliber where we've hidden them as occasional reminders, or put them out for the trash collectors to take away.)

As we gain in knowledge, our Oopses get better and we are less likely to be tempted to purchase stuff like this. I haven't bought any touristy stuff in weeks. At least none I'll admit to.
Yes sadly I would agree with that assessment !
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote