Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 10th March 2020, 10:49 PM   #31
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
David, in respect of Mrs. Vanna Ghiringhelli's previous publications, I reserve comment.
In respect of her upcoming publication I will say only this:- this lady writes well, and is a meticulous researcher, I have found all of her writings to be an excellent mirror of the overall beliefs associated with the keris. Her perspective is in my opinion one that should be given close attention by anybody who wishes to undertake a comparative study of the keris as it is understood by all of those people who have an interest in it.
Well Alan, as i stated earlier, i do have both of her books on hilts and i would be most interested in seeing, if not owning (which is probably the only way i will get to see it) this upcoming book as well. I do not disagree with you commentary on her writing or perspective .
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2020, 12:19 PM   #32
Jean

Quote:

You have said that the figure bears a mace, I can only see that he has something in his left hand, would it be possible to show us the other side of this figure, so we can see the mace?
Hello Alan,
See the attached pic. I selected the other pic to better show the hairdesss in wayang style.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2020, 12:31 PM   #33
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well Alan, as i stated earlier, i do have both of her books on hilts and i would be most interested in seeing, if not owning (which is probably the only way i will get to see it) this upcoming book as well. I do not disagree with you commentary on her writing or perspective .
Regarding the last book from Vanna: "Kris hilts, masterpieces of South-East Asian art", she asked me (and probably some Italian collectors also) to help her identifying some very rare pieces from the collection but I was unable to give her any justified opinion. So she wisely chose to be very careful about the identification of these hilts.
Regards
Old 11th March 2020, 01:36 PM   #34
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Jean.

Yes, it does look like a serious donger, but there is nothing else I can see in this representation that would incline me to think I was looking at Bhima.

Bhima is a very serious heavy. A Wide Boy. A hit man. He is not a pleasant young man with an other-worldly expression on his face.

In Bali Hindu iconography, Classical Javanese iconography, Hindu iconography, the serpent around the neck or across the shoulder is normally associated with Siwa.

But this little statue is Balinese, and Balinese carvers often have a mind of their own about how well known personages should be shown. Personally, I would not attempt to give this charming little gentleman any name at all.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 06:45 PM   #35
Marcokeris

Quote:
I look forward to this publication Marco. Mrs. Vanna Ghiringhelli is certainly an authority on mainstream Hindu beliefs and culture.

Can you advise how this book can be ordered?
I have receive this day the news about the new Vanna Ghiringhelli book
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2020, 11:42 AM   #36
Jean

The book is not yet available on Amazon but it will be on some Italian bookshops from 14th November at the price of 38 Euros. Great!
We badly need some kris events for boosting our spirits during this confinement period!
Regards
Old 11th November 2020, 12:24 PM   #37
kai

Thumbs up

Thanks, Mario!

Sounds like the event will be in Italian only, doesn't it?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2020, 01:39 PM   #38
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks, Mario!

Sounds like the event will be in Italian only, doesn't it?

Regards,
Kai
I think in Italian yes
Old 11th November 2020, 01:47 PM   #39
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
I think in Italian yes
Thank you. I managed to place an order for this book. Hopefully can get it.

Last edited by Anthony G.; 12th November 2020 at 11:19 AM.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 09:47 PM   #40
kai

Thanks, Mario!

Here's the link for the lecture on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_CpxlR2T8Q

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2020, 06:15 PM   #41
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks, Mario!

Here's the link for the lecture on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_CpxlR2T8Q

Regards,
Kai
Moderator Note: Marco, you cannot post links to the sale of this book on this forum. Open up a thread in the Keris Swap for that.

Last edited by Marcokeris; 15th November 2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 6th December 2020, 01:00 AM   #42
Mickey the Finn

Default To: Jean, et al. Re: Balarama.

Discussion about the identity of the gada/mace toting personage caught my attention. The material to follow is mostly from Wikipedia and Vedicfeed, and does not reflect my opinion about the identity of the personage; I don't know enough about the subject to have formed an opinion. It's food for thought, or more fodder for speculation.
Balarama is often depicted with a serpent canopy. He is mentioned at vedicfeed as being the incarnation of Shesha Naag, the Nagaraja, associated with Vishnu. Vedicfeed also says that Balarama is an avatar of Vishnu, Vishnu incarnated as Krishna, and that Shesha Naag is a manifestation of Vishnu. When Balarama "died"/ "disappeared"/ "reached the state of Yoga Samadhi", a spirit in the shape of a white snake came out of his mouth. Balarama isn't depicted with a serpent around his neck, but there's a definite association.
Religion.wikia.org says "Balarama is almost always [italics mine] depicted as being fair skinned...". There is one 19th C. Nathdwara painting of Balarama and Revati, and Balarama is depicted with blue skin and yellow garments, including a yellow turban. However, he wields a plow in this painting, not a gada/mace. He may have roughly seven bulbous knots in his black hair, or they may be a serpent canopy; it's hard to tell from the picture.
And although Shiva is known for the serpent around his neck, he is not known to wield a mace.
Hanuman does wield a mace, but...
I'll conclude now.
Mickey
Mickey the Finn is offline   Reply With Quote