Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 6th November 2021, 09:58 AM   #1
messia

Default Help with identifying an Austrian sabre

Hello everybody. I bought a saber at an auction, apparently Austrian, what do you say? I cannot find a similar model and understand the brand.
Attached Images

messia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 03:22 PM   #2
corrado26

As far as I can see this has nothing to do with Austria - it is a Württemberg officer sabre M 1817 which has been in use still during the First World War. The troop marking stands for the "Württembergisches Landwehr-Train Bataillon N°13".
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 06:14 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It has always been amazing to me that these very early German sword types were in use so late and into WWI. It also seems that these stamped markings most often denote 'train battalion's'.
What exactly were 'train battalion's'?

Also, interestingly with the German units, especially cavalry and the use of obviously long outmoded lancers, it seems that in many cases, there was an almost anachronistic penchant for the pageantry of 19th century uniforms and weaponry.

The only other use of lances for example was perhaps some of the British Bengal Lancer and other units from other Indian states. Here of course, their own pageantry in uniform was evident.

Most overviews on WWI of course bring to mind khaki and drab utility uniforms and helmets slogging through muddy trenches in most of the armies involved, but the contrasts of these flamboyant units noted are colorfully fascinating.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 08:00 AM   #4
kronckew

Train Battalions were infantry assigned specifically to ride on and guard military supply/troop trains.

Swedish Train Regiment Soldier with his
M1848 Swedish Faskinkniv
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2021, 02:30 PM   #5
messia

Hi guys. Thank you so much for your answers. But the "Württemberg officer saber M 1817" has a different hilt from the saber that I sent you. Possibly a modification for the 'train battalion's' ?. I found a forum thread with a photo of sabers m1817, as well as a photo from a book, I want to share with you.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/t...-cavalry-sabre
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2021, 04:32 PM   #6
corrado26

Quote:
Originally Posted by messia View Post
But the "Württemberg officer saber M 1817" has a different hilt from the saber that I sent you.

Don't forget that officers are in the situation to arm themselves on their own cost and could order sabres of their own taste. Over that it is not certain that the sword and its scabbard originally belonged together. The troop marking of the scabbard is missing at the sabre so that it is rather obvious that they have been put together later, very understandable in the long time this sabres had been in use.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2021, 09:42 AM   #7
messia

Hello. finally took the saber and took good pictures. I want to share with you, it seems to me that the scabbard is completely suitable for this item and there are no traces of the blade being re-sharpened under the other scabbard.
Attached Images

Old 25th December 2021, 09:44 AM   #8
messia

Perhaps it will be convenient to look through Google's album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/m3Mvyik2egAf38i76
Attached Images