Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
joe123

Default Sami Knife

I bought this one when I was a kid. I believe the material in reindeer antler? The knife measures about 7" overall.
Attached Images

joe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Joe,

very nice authentic Sami knife. That handle and sheath are from reindeer antler are most likely. Wish to have one!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Sajen

Here one what was sold recently by ebay.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 25th February 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 25th February 2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all~ Note for forum library; The Sami knife (Sami: Stuorniibi, Finnish: Lapinleuku), is a large knife traditionally used by the Sami people.(Swedish). In Norway the same related group are called Samerfolk. They can be considered as arctic bedouin or nomadic.

The Sami knife has a long, wide, and strong blade that is suited for light chopping tasks such as de-limbing, cutting small trees for shelter poles (See Lavvu), Emergency brush wood shelters(Gapahook), brush clearing, bone breaking and butchering tasks, and is sometimes used as a substitute for an axe for chopping and splitting small amounts of firewood from standing dead trees- an essential ability when all dead and fallen wood is buried underneath many layers of snow. Typical Sami knives have a blade length ranging from 200 to 450 mm.[1] The largest knives can be considered as machetes[2] or short swords... useful in fashioning igloos.

The handle is invariably made from birch(though antler is clearly an alternative) for better grip when used in snowy conditions. The tang runs through the handle. The handle has no crossguard. Traditional material for the sheath is reindeer leather.

The blade is always in scandinavian (or scandi) grind. The blade should be strong enough to split (reindeer) bones, and it is typically not made of stainless steel since it can break in very cold temperatures. Some Sami knives have fullers. The knives are excellent outdoor tools for bushcrafting.

The Sami people typically use two knives; the smaller one can be called a buiku, puukko or unna niibaš (small knife), while the larger "Sami knife" is called stuorra niibi (big knife).

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all~ Note for forum library; The Sami knife (Sami: Stuorniibi, Finnish: Lapinleuku), is a large knife traditionally used by the Sami people.(Swedish). In Norway the same related group are called Samerfolk. They can be considered as arctic bedouin or nomadic.

The Sami knife has a long, wide, and strong blade that is suited for light chopping tasks such as de-limbing, cutting small trees for shelter poles (See Lavvu), Emergency brush wood shelters(Gapahook), brush clearing, bone breaking and butchering tasks, and is sometimes used as a substitute for an axe for chopping and splitting small amounts of firewood from standing dead trees- an essential ability when all dead and fallen wood is buried underneath many layers of snow. Typical Sami knives have a blade length ranging from 200 to 450 mm.[1] The largest knives can be considered as machetes[2] or short swords... useful in fashioning igloos.

The handle is invariably made from birch(though antler is clearly an alternative) for better grip when used in snowy conditions. The tang runs through the handle. The handle has no crossguard. Traditional material for the sheath is reindeer leather.

The blade is always in scandinavian (or scandi) grind. The blade should be strong enough to split (reindeer) bones, and it is typically not made of stainless steel since it can break in very cold temperatures. Some Sami knives have fullers. The knives are excellent outdoor tools for bushcrafting.

The Sami people typically use two knives; the smaller one can be called a buiku, puukko or unna niibaš (small knife), while the larger "Sami knife" is called stuorra niibi (big knife).

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Thank you for this great explanation! So this both shown knifes are "buiku" or better puukko (better known) knifes.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 25th February 2012, 07:06 PM   #6
VVV

I am no expert of Sami knives but I have studied some of the Sami religions and cultures.
The Sami people consists of several different sub-groups who have their own, quite different, languages. Their languages are closer related to Finnish than any of the Scandinavian languages. But still it is so different that the sub-groups cannot understand each other's languages, i.e. it is not dialects.
So unless you know which sub-group the specific knife comes from you cannot decide what it is supposed to be called locally.
I know less about North American Indian tribes but I suspect that it is the same situation there if you want to find out the original native name for one of their knives?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 10:49 PM   #7
chregu

Hi
I love the simplicity of Scandinavian knives.
here is my Sami knife
Attached Images

chregu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Rich

I've collected Scandinavian/Nordic knives for a long time (ca 60 years); only have two Sami types. Below is a link to my collection although the pics are several years old and I've added numerous knives since they were taken.
Rich
-------------------------------------------------------
Richard Stein, PhD

Nordic Knives and Knife Links
http://home.earthlink.net/~rsblade/nordic.htm

"Never go anywhere without a knife"
- Leroy Jethro Gibbs
-------------------------------------------------------
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Sajen

Here a second one which was sold recently by ebay.
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

Here are some modern versions of the Sami leuku at the top followed by a standard puukko and two customs made pieces in my collection of Finnish knives. The leuku is basically a large butcher knife with an 8-9 inch blade but it also can be used for cutting up wood for to make a fire if need be. The smaller knives are for everyday chores from whittling to skinning hides or even kitchen duties slicing up cheese veggies and bits of meat.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Rich

Lew -

Nice knives. I've wanted a Roselli leuku, but the $$$$ just aren't there right now. I've two Roselli, an older HC Hunter and a standard carbon Carpenter. Both fine knives, although Roselli knives are not what I think of when I think of Sami knives. I think more of the reindeer antlered handles and sheaths. Is the puukko an Allti Kankannpaa? Looks like his work (I have one of his). Who did the lower two customs - they look really nice. I don't have but a couple modern customs; one a Tommi by Marko Tihula and a double set by Kay Vikstrom.

Rich S

Last edited by Rich; 26th February 2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: can't spell
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Rich

The leuku I had custom fitted at the factory with a sterling silver butt plate and ferrule. Yes the puukko is a Kankannpaa the other two are made by Jukka Hankala.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Sajen

This Sami knife just sold by ebay for an unbelievable high price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Is it possible that this thread let raise up the price?
Some pictures for the time when they are removed by ebay.
Attached Images