Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2018, 05:29 PM   #1
corrado26

Default Matchlock gun of Afghanistan?

A friend of mine sent me these fotos asking me to help with an identification. I think it could be a piece from Afghanistan but am not sure. Thanks for help.
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 08:21 PM   #2
rickystl

Hi Corodo

Interesting matchlock. While it could have seen Afghan use, I believe it was likely made in India. The barrel is styled exactly like Torador matchlocks. Unlike most Toradors we see with the straight stocks, this one has the curve ala Afghan style. Could reflect a bit of South Indian influence (?) Also, the brass side plates are done in typical Torador fashion. It is a very plain, tribal style of gun. Love the rattan used for barrel bands. In any case, I feel confident it is originally of Indian origin. Lets see what others think.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 09:01 PM   #3
mahratt

Hi Corodo

I agree with Rick. This is clearly a matchlock of Indian origin. Theoretically, this matchlock could be used in Afghanistan. Curve reminds me not Afghan style, but rather Sind style.

Dima
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 11:35 AM   #4
BANDOOK

Greetings Corodo
The barrel is definitely from India and its Hindi/Marwari script[spoken in Rajasthan],clearly says Jaipur with date,picture of script not clear ,do send a good image and I can translate it for you
regards
Rajesh

Last edited by BANDOOK; 27th August 2018 at 11:33 AM.
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 01:52 PM   #5
corrado26

Thanks a lot at all for their answers. Unfortunately I have no other pictures to send, but my friend is very happy with the result of your answers. Thanks a lot once more
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 02:26 PM   #6
ariel

I am a bit confused. Binding is the last thing put on something during the final assembly, and rattan is very prone to natural destruction. Its use implies its abundance for easy replacement.
AFAIK, rattan is endemic to hot wet areas : SE Asia from Burma and Sri Lanka to Malaysia , Indonesia etc. It is a jungle plant.
Does it grow in Afghanistan or NW India with their largely desert-y climate? I checked Wiki “ rattan” and could not find it being mentioned there. In fact, the only time Afghanistan was mentioned as an importer of rattan from Thailand.
Do we know of widespread use of rattan in weaponry or other products in those areas?
Just wondering...

Last edited by ariel; 26th August 2018 at 02:53 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 05:18 AM   #7
mahratt

I apologize, but you very inattentively read the message. I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
Hi Corodo
I agree with Rick. This is clearly a matchlock of Indian origin. Theoretically, this matchlock could be used in Afghanistan. Curve reminds me not Afghan style, but rather Sind style.
Dima
I will be very grateful if you tell me in what message I assumed that this matchlock is of Afghan originаl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I think you missed the point: preponderance of evidence is in favor of South Indian origin, but not ,- as you suggested,- Afghani and most certainly not Sindhi.

So which of us did not understand the essence? I wrote in the third message that this is an Indian matchlock that could be in Afghanistan. You wrote the same thing at the very end of topic, when this everything was already clear to all the participants

I see that you have not completely understood the topic, since you are writing again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Moser's example #491 is from Sindh although he called it Afghani.
Afghanistan is a multinational country. The well-known fact that in the south of Afghanistan in the 19th century lived (and lives now) Balochi tribe (which the British in the 19th century were called Afghans). Balochi actively used Sind-type matchlocks (there are many evidences to this - for example, look at the image). It is strange to assume that such mathlocks from Sind were unable to enter the more northern regions of Afghanistan.
Moreover, the movement of matchlocks from Sind throughout the territory of Afghanistan is proved by the fact that Henry Moser bought such a this matchlock in Turkestan. And we have already found out that the rifle was brought to Turkestan not by plane, bypassing Afghanistan. I hope now you understand why Moser called the matchlock from Sind - Afghan matchlock. Not because it was made in Afghanistan, but because it was used in Afghanistan
Attached Images

Last edited by mahratt; 29th August 2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 29th August 2018, 03:07 PM   #8
rickystl

Hey !! Neat drawing. I'll save this in my library. Thanks.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 03:13 PM   #9
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hey !! Neat drawing. I'll save this in my library. Thanks.

Rick
Rick, if it's interesting, I can place a photo of Balochs with Sind-type rifles in the subject as well. By the way, the image that I laid out is 1879.