Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 15th June 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Spiridonov

Default A very unusual italian handgonne (schiopetto)

http://www.museodellacaccia.it/record.php?cod=Bd002527
Spiridonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Alexander,

You really are Alexander the Great! This is the find of the century!

As posting pictures is basically preferred to just posting links, I am trying to give the full information.
the
This unique North Italian tiller gun seems to be the world's earliest known dated firearm by far, and a true sensation! The zoomorphic form of the barrel, with an elongated head and stylized ears and eyes, and a muzzle swamped to resemble a mouth wide open, clearly reflects the Italian style. The lateral zigzag decorative pattern symbolizing two rows of monster's teeth seems to show up here for the very first time but is similarly known from Italian barrels as late as the mid 16th c.!

The fact that the date 1417 is struck in Roman and not Arabic numerals:

mccccxvii

pleads for the genuineness of the piece. Also the shape of the cross is clearly medieval, and known from many sword blades, e.g.

It is preserved and seems to be on permanent exhibition in the Museo Storico delle Caccia e del Territorio (Museum of Hunting and Territory) in Florence (Firenze).

Thanks again,
and best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 16th June 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you very much Alexander for posting this wonderful and apparantly remarkably important piece here, and Michael thank you so much for pointing out its key importance as one of the earliest forms of firearm.

While my knowledge of these early firearms is limited at best, it is truly exciting to learn more on them here, with thier fascinating history powerfully heightened by Michael's masterful detail!

With my interest in markings, one of the elements here pointed out by Michael, the date in Roman numerals vs. Arabic, is excellent and as he shows is compellingly indicative of medieval period. This, along with the early Greek type crosses reflects the role of the Church in the supply of weaponry and ordnance that had been in place for centuries.

I find the zoomorphic application in the muzzle fascinating, and Michael notes in the Italian style. I am wondering more about this use of artistic license in the designs of arms and armour as it seems it was the case in a number of early type firearms designs to use various creatures as design for the barrel as well. Also in later firearms in is interesting that various zoomorphic forms either provided models for various elements such as on the lock hammer and that terms often recalled animals such as the word snaphaunce if I recall correctly.

Although the creature intimated in the muzzle on this gun is of course highly stylized and described as a 'monster', might it be intended to represent a wolf? If so, is it possible this might allude to the ferocity of the 'wolf warriors' which I personally believe were represented in the blades of many swords either in term or metaphoric sense and possibly later in the 'running wolf' marks used by the guilds in Passau et al.

It is truly exciting to see this outstanding example shown here, and these are thoughts and questions which it has prompted for me. I look forward to further discussion and to learning more !!!!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 01:55 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
... As posting pictures is basically preferred to just posting links, I am trying to give the full information....
And the forum (and members certainly) are deeply thankfull for both your remark and action/s (often) taken in this issue, Michl .

Concerning this beauty ...
It surely is an undeniable fact that, is a good thing that rare specimens are displayed in museums, so as to share their excelency with everyone during all time. But i wouldn't mind being donated this magnificent 'escopeta' and have the burden to open my apartment door every (working) day, to attend the visiting crowd; i would even provide someone to organize the queue outside .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

... not to forget taking care of the entrance fee, 'Nando!

Best,
Michl
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote