Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2012, 11:47 PM   #1
eric45

Default New Katar

Picked up this Katar, looks like it could be wootz steel?

Eric
Attached Images

eric45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would say "yes", that it has what looks like to me wootz.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 03:12 AM   #3
eric45

Better closeup.
Attached Images

Old 18th August 2012, 03:27 AM   #4
ariel

It doesn't " look like", it IS wootz:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Now that we know its wootz, anything else on this example?
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric45
Picked up this Katar, looks like it could be wootz steel?

Eric
Salaams eric45 I wonder if you typed into SEARCH, katar as it is cramed full of meaningful detail on the subject. Your punch dagger has evidence of what looks like "koftgari" goldwork on the handle .. it looks well used. I think these were called lion knives and used to defend against the big cat on hunting outings.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams eric45 I wonder if you typed into SEARCH, katar as it is cramed full of meaningful detail on the subject. Your punch dagger has evidence of what looks like "koftgari" goldwork on the handle .. it looks well used. I think these were called lion knives and used to defend against the big cat on hunting outings.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Exactly!
The nature of the metalwork is but one element of the character of the weapon, and katars have been discussed here for many years. I would imagine that there may be collectors who buy weapons simply to find wootz regardless of what type blade it is, but it has been my impression that most have an interest in other aspects of the weapon as well.
If the focus is to be entirely on 'wootz' then using the search will reveal other meaningful discussions on that topic as well.
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
eric45

I read that wootz was no longer made after the early 1700's, how come so
many indian daggers and katars with wootz seem to be made in the 1800's?

Erich
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I thought I would pick up a few books and do some reading on 'katars'.
While it seems clear that the question here had nothing to do with the character on this katar itself, I thought perhaps others reading this thread (observe number of views) might want to know more.

The style overall seems to be in keeping with katars from Rajasthan production and as always they were remarkably similar over centuries. The center rib in the blade and overall profile concur with this and much the same profile is seen on other daggers such as khapwah and chilanum as well. Interestingly the engraved flower (lily?) like feature at the forte resembles the double crescent style of many chilanum, 17th c. and beyond.

Katars of this style, admittedly simple but subtly distinct are seen Egerton (#383; #508) and these are suggested being from Maharapore and Gwalior, which was a pricely state south of Agra ruled by the Sindhias. These were a Maratha clan who also had considerable Rajput connections.
The device at the top of the blade is also seen on katars from Jaipur and Alwar, in Rajasthan. Clearly this does not suggest this simple katar design is from this provenance, but that they were apparantly present there in this instance.

While none of these clues or comparisons can be considered conclusive or definitive due to the long use of traditional styles as well as wide diffusion of products dispersed through trade or diplomatic circumstances, it still gives an idea of the kinds of nuances these weapons often hold for study.

I would note the wavy blade edges reveal potential age in the apparant sharpening over years. The engraved device reflecting the forementioned elements on earlier hilts suggests possible traditional recollection of these weapons, or of course simply aesthetic decoration, one often wonders.

Most important are the curious pierced connecting bars connecting the transverse bars of the grip. These appear to have small apertures in them...could these be just decoration, or there to attach auspicious items in ceremonial or festive sense as in many cases seen with various swords such as the khanda.

I just thought I would add some observations and thoughts to illustrate the adventure often found in studying these weapons. While of course these can only be considered highly speculative, I present them as always in hopes that others will join in and present thier views, for or against my comments, and a discussion will develop. It is how we all learn.

"Indian & Oriental Arms and Armour" Lord Egerton, 1880
"Indian Arms and Armour" Dr. G.N.Pant, New Delhi, 1980
"Hindu Arms and Ritual" Dr. Robert Elgood, London, 2004
"Arms and Armour: Traditional Weapons of India" , E.Jaiwent Paul, 2005