Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 1st June 2021, 08:02 AM   #1
SimonM77

Default Educational Charts, enhanced version, Free new PDF

Hello there!

Since it is difficult to find a properly printed version of the approximately 1917 Educational Charts by Bashford Dean (founder of the Arms and Armor division in the Metropolitan Museum of Art), I have recently cleaned up the illustrations and had them printed for myself and my collector friends along with a bit of layout.

I have decided to share it with whoever could be interested in this post

Hope you like it.

Feel free to share it with anyone you want.

(I had to downsize it to 4 megabyte to be able to share it, mention if you would like the full size one of about 23-25 megabyte)

- Simon
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Educational Charts Arms And Armour - 2021 - small size.pdf (4.12 MB, 1015 views)
SimonM77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Victrix

Many thanks for that! Bashford Dean must have been a remarkable man.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 07:15 PM   #3
SimonM77

He was pretty badass imo!

Its great that it is useful to you, I made it for myself mainly, and then decided to share the PDF.
Old 2nd June 2021, 03:22 AM   #4
Chris Evans

Thank you ever so much - A wonderful contribution to our collective knowledge.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:34 AM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I am sure a lot of members will save this PDF to their library .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:07 AM   #6
SimonM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
I am sure a lot of members will save this PDF to their library .
Hope it will help! And thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 11:00 PM   #7
adrian

Thank you for posting that.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
Many thanks for that! Bashford Dean must have been a remarkable man.
"Bashie's" academic training and the bulk of his published writings were in the natural sciences , fishes in particular. But enough of an expert on armor to have received the rank of major from the US Army during the First World War, assigned to the task of designing a more practical trench helmet for American forces than the types used by the British and French armies. The result was regarded as admirable, but was never officially adopted due to bureaucratic catfights, technical and fiscal objections in the area of production feasibility and costs, and the uncomfortable resemblance of the helmet to the Stahlhelm adopted by the Germans. (which, of course, was and still is an excellent design traceable back to the sallet of the Gothic period).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2021, 08:21 AM   #9
SimonM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
"Bashie's" academic training and the bulk of his published writings were in the natural sciences , fishes in particular. But enough of an expert on armor to have received the rank of major from the US Army during the First World War, assigned to the task of designing a more practical trench helmet for American forces than the types used by the British and French armies. The result was regarded as admirable, but was never officially adopted due to bureaucratic catfights, technical and fiscal objections in the area of production feasibility and costs, and the uncomfortable resemblance of the helmet to the Stahlhelm adopted by the Germans. (which, of course, was and still is an excellent design traceable back to the sallet of the Gothic period).
I am also quite convinced that he met the artist Hashime Murayama one of the illustrators of the Educational Charts, via his natural science & fish studies.

Hashime illustrated a couple of the charts, mainly the one with the armours throughout time, possibly because he must have been better at drawing people. This is speculation ofcourse.

"Hashime Murayama was a Japanese American painter and scientific illustrator. He was best known for his exquisite paintings of birds, insects, fish, mammals, and other wildlife. "

The other illustrator, Stanley J Rowland seems to be a more technical illustrator, and he drew most of the illustrations in the compiled charts.

He joined The Met in 1914 as a young man.