Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th November 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Two keris

Hello,

your opinion please, just finished by e-bay, unfortunately I am outbid in the last second.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...torefresh=true

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Royston

Default Two keris

Hi Sajen

They look ok for the money. Interesting to see that they are from a UK seller.

Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 07:57 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Sajen, I feel that perhaps you might need to review your appraisal system for keris.

At this price these keris were a gift.

The value of only one of those blades, bare of dress, is already much more than what the winner has paid for both complete keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Sajen, I feel that perhaps you might need to review your appraisal system for keris.

At this price these keris were a gift.

The value of only one of those blades, bare of dress, is already much more than what the winner has paid for both complete keris.
Hello Alan,

sorry, I think that my appraisal system for keris is very ok, but my pc is to slow! Look at the bid list and the bidding times, I am the second bidder from up, my first bid I give already very early, so the only mistake I have done that my last bid not high enough! I have seen that this are good keris, I think from Malaysia, and I really want to win them. I am very angry with myself that I have been to avaricious by my last bid. I coming home from work and hurry up to my pc and give a bid but to less. I think that this listing have been a sleeper, only 121 views. I am still cooking. I just want to give a higher bid but my pc is very slow in internet and when is confirmed the time have been over.

Detlef
Old 6th November 2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Hi Sajen

They look ok for the money. Interesting to see that they are from a UK seller.

Roy
This have been like six correct numbers in Lotto!

Detlef
Old 6th November 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

I have to agree with Alan. These were a literal steal.
Sajen, you don't have to wait to be out bid on ebay to put in you ultimate bid. You could have bid your top bid and it would only show the amount necessary to outbid the previous bidder. Waiting to the last minute doesn't save you any money and in this case it lost you the items.
With a little cleaning and tender care these would be lovely additions to any collection.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
asomotif

Would have been nice at that price. The dollar is at its lowest since ages/
I guess there must be more bargains around at Epray these days.
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 01:27 AM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I have to agree with Alan. These were a literal steal.
Sajen, you don't have to wait to be out bid on ebay to put in you ultimate bid. You could have bid your top bid and it would only show the amount necessary to outbid the previous bidder. Waiting to the last minute doesn't save you any money and in this case it lost you the items.
With a little cleaning and tender care these would be lovely additions to any collection.

Hi David,

yes I know. The first bid at Oktober 31 I give for watching, the second I give at work hastily because I am very busy. I come home very late and run up to my pc and in this bustle I have done the mistake to bid to low. You can't imagine how angry I have been to myself after I have lost the auction!

Detlef
Old 7th November 2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Would have been nice at that price. The dollar is at its lowest since ages/
I guess there must be more bargains around at Epray these days.

Hi Willem,

thank's for adding the picture, so when I want to be angry again to myself I only have to open this thread.
Old 7th November 2009, 01:57 AM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi David,

yes I know. The first bid at Oktober 31 I give for watching, the second I give at work hastily because I am very busy. I come home very late and run up to my pc and in this bustle I have done the mistake to bid to low. You can't imagine how angry I have been to myself after I have lost the auction!

Detlef
2 Words Detlef,

Sniping software .

Did I ever tell you about the time I misplaced a decimal point in a bid ?
I meant to bid $560.00 ... instead I bid $5,600.00 !!
Of course I won that auction ...

I think these days you really have to roll the dice and bid at least 60% of perceived value; maybe even more .

I do remember getting a nice Bugis on eBay for $60.00 once ..................... back in '97 .

Best, and condolences...

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 02:19 AM   #11
BluErf

Welcome to the world of undervalued Malay kerises.

Well, I thought the keris on the right had a mighty unusual hilt for a Malay keris, and the pendoko was probably made somewhere outside the Peninsula. The blade looks like it travelled from elsewhere too. So the 2nd keris is not quite a traditional 'thoroughbred' N. Malayan keris.

The one on the left is the one that makes up most of the value I'd say, but you'd probably notice that the fullness of the hilt (Terengganu) does not fully match the almost 'gaunt' and angular looking top sheath. The wood is very good for sure, same for the batang, but its just the form and the angle at which the hilt (and therefore the peksi) joins the sheath that makes the whole combination a bit disjointing in terms of aesthetics. I'd hazard to say that this piece may be a put-together, especially with the ganja sticking tentatively out of the sheath, and not in a clear strong manner.

So don't feel too bad for yourself, Sajen. there are better ones, just keep your eyes peeled, and go for "one-shot one kill" bidding.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 04:02 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

When I look at a keris I do not appraise its value as a totality, but piece by piece:- the value of the blade is X, the value of the hilt is Y ---and so on. If everything is nice, original and of one piece, it gets a loading, if we know its history it gets another loading, if it does not require any work at all it gets another loading.

With these two keris I appraised them as married, and requiring a lot of work, possibly in need of having blades changed, or a new set of dress made for one blade.

Yes, there are much, much better keris out there, but even the very worst keris has a value, and the value of these two keris is very much higher than the price they realised.

I do not sell on Ebay, and the only couple of keris I have bought off Ebay were ones that I had sold. I buy other things on Ebay, and my approach is to bid the highest amount I am prepared to pay, and to bid that amount as near to closing as possible.I used to just put my bid in at any time, and then forget it, and although this was often successful sometimes my bid would get wiped out in a bidding war. These days if I lose something, it goes for a price I was not prepared to pay anyway, and often that price is pretty stupid. When I win I usually pay a fair market price, and in my estimation, this is the key:- you don't try to get something as cheap as possible, you estimate a fair market price, and make that price your highest bid.If you get the item for less, you're winning, if you don't get it, you still win, because you have not paid more than it is worth. If you pay your highest bid, you've broken even.

In fact, I bid pretty much the same as I would if it were a live auction.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 04:23 AM   #13
BluErf

Yes, I agree with Alan that the final bid price on the 2 kerises are still below their fair value, even with the points I have made.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
2 Words Detlef,

Sniping software . ........

Best, and condolences...

Rick

Hello Rick,

thank's for the condolences! Yes, I am sure that the winner use sniping software, the bid 2 second before the end of the auction is a sign for this.

And this what happened to you with the decimal point happened to me also. In Germany we have to set a "," in american e-bay you have to set a "." so I give a bid from 120,000.00 $ I also win this auction!

Yes, like I write before it have been my mistake that I don't give a higher bid but all have been to slow to correct it. Now I can laugh again.

Best,

Detlef
Old 7th November 2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
Welcome to the world of undervalued Malay kerises.

Well, I thought the keris on the right had a mighty unusual hilt for a Malay keris, and the pendoko was probably made somewhere outside the Peninsula. The blade looks like it travelled from elsewhere too. So the 2nd keris is not quite a traditional 'thoroughbred' N. Malayan keris.

The one on the left is the one that makes up most of the value I'd say, but you'd probably notice that the fullness of the hilt (Terengganu) does not fully match the almost 'gaunt' and angular looking top sheath. The wood is very good for sure, same for the batang, but its just the form and the angle at which the hilt (and therefore the peksi) joins the sheath that makes the whole combination a bit disjointing in terms of aesthetics. I'd hazard to say that this piece may be a put-together, especially with the ganja sticking tentatively out of the sheath, and not in a clear strong manner.

So don't feel too bad for yourself, Sajen. there are better ones, just keep your eyes peeled, and go for "one-shot one kill" bidding.

Hello BluErf,

you're right, both not perfect and a hilt like from the keris on the right side I also have never seen before but it seems to be a old one.

Thank you for your kind words,

Detlef
Old 7th November 2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
When I look at a keris I do not appraise its value as a totality, but piece by piece:- the value of the blade is X, the value of the hilt is Y ---and so on. If everything is nice, original and of one piece, it gets a loading, if we know its history it gets another loading, if it does not require any work at all it gets another loading.

With these two keris I appraised them as married, and requiring a lot of work, possibly in need of having blades changed, or a new set of dress made for one blade.

Yes, there are much, much better keris out there, but even the very worst keris has a value, and the value of these two keris is very much higher than the price they realised.

In fact, I bid pretty much the same as I would if it were a live auction.
Hello Alan,

agree with you that the value of both keris is much higher than the final selling price, this have been the reason that I am so angry with myself and it have been my mistake that I don't give a higher bid, maybe 250$.
Just another learning lesson for me.

Best,

Detlef