Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th May 2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Bolo / Parang ???

Just won this and to be quite honest I am not familiar with this blade type with the file work on the lower side next to the hilt. The only information that I have is the length which is 23-1/4 inches. The pictures below are from the auction. All help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 05:50 AM   #2
VVV

It looks as the same blade but with a dagger hilt?

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, this is an interesting piece. The blade does look like that from a minisbad, but the hilt looks more Tagalog. Not sure what to think yet.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Michael and Jose, Thank you both for your comments. This is a rather interesting looking piece, I just wish that I had more information on it or at least some better pictures. At this point I do not know if the hilt is made of wood or horn or even if the tang extends all the way through the hilt or not. It is to bad that there was no scabbard with it to help in identifying its possible origin.

Robert
Old 4th May 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm pretty sure it goes through until the end. That I usually don't see until WWII, but the blade is not WWII........
Old 4th May 2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Robert,

very interesting sword. Can't wait to see better pictures.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, And thank you, I too think that this is a very interesting sword and I wish that it would just hurry up and get here so that I can give it a light cleaning and post more pictures of it as well as the dimensions. Maybe then with the new (and I hope better) pictures I will be able to get more of the forum members thoughts on it.

Robert
Old 6th May 2011, 09:08 AM   #8
migueldiaz

The blade is definitely southern Luzon (i.e., Bicol), while the hilt is Tagalog. Thus it looks like a Tagalog got hold of a Bicol blade and rehilted it (or vice versa).

The hybrid configuration is very possible, because the two regions are just next to each other (please see attached map).

[Robert, it looks like there's some engraving on the blade. Please do show us detailed pics later, please. Thanks!]
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello everyone,
The minasbad arrived and I don't think I could be happier. It is 23-1/4 inches in total length with a 17-3/8 inch blade. A its widest point the blade is 1-1/4 inches while at its narrowest point it is 11/16 inch. The blade is 7/16 of an inch thick at the hilt. The hilt itself is made of what looks to be very dark kamagong wood and has a seamed brass collar. The only damage to the hilt is an old age crack that can be seen in the pictures. The tang of the blade does not extend completely through hilt. Here are a few poor pictures of it after a light cleaning (the blade was covered in layers of old wax and dirt with very little actual rust) and some ren wax.

Robert

P.S.
Lorenz, Thank you for the information and the map. Unfortunately when this arrived I found that there was no engraving on the blade.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 8th May 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 8th May 2011, 03:29 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Have you etched it yet?
Old 8th May 2011, 04:05 AM   #11
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Jose,
Not yet but I've been thinking about it. Can it be etched without removing the file marks from when the blade was first made? I really like the marks that are on the blade, they can be seen very clearly on the pictures of the tip area of the blade and cover the entire blade with the same pattern.

Robert
Old 8th May 2011, 08:36 AM   #12
carlos

congratulations Robert, is avery beatiful piece, I´m sure you are very happy Now!!
Best regards
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Carlos, and thank you for your kind words. Yes, I was extremely happy with finding this as a sleeper on ebay. I was even happier when it finally arrived and found it was just covered with years of old wax and dust and not rust as it looked to be in the original pictures. Now I have another project in making a scabbard for it and thanks to Michael and Lorenz I already have examples to base one one. If anyone else has any information to share or suggestions on the proper scabbard that I should make for this I would be very grateful for your help. Thank you all again for your kind words and help in identifying this.

Robert
Old 8th May 2011, 11:29 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Jose,
Not yet but I've been thinking about it. Can it be etched without removing the file marks from when the blade was first made? I really like the marks that are on the blade, they can be seen very clearly on the pictures of the tip area of the blade and cover the entire blade with the same pattern.

Robert
Yes you can etch the blade and find out if it has laminations or at least a temper line.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:05 AM   #15
Atlantia

It looks fantastic Robert!
What a transformation.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 04:34 AM   #16
Robert
EAAF Staff

Thank you Gene but this one was really easy. A little ammonia and warm water on the blade to remove the filth and then a soft toothbrush and Murphy Oil Soap on the wooden hilt for the same purpose. A through drying and some oil on the blade and Ren Wax for all and it's done. I just wish that they were all this easy to clean.

Robert