Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 11th February 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
T. Koch

Default High-end khanjars for swap - long wish list!

Hi guys!

I’ve got these two khanjars up for an old fashioned trade. Any offers are welcome. If you are the one with the highest postcount or if one of the regular members will vouch for you, I’ll ship the khanjars to you first, otherwise you will be shipping first. Please note, that if you live outside the EU, I will need a bit of time to attain the required permits.

Khanjar 1 is from the Ottoman empire. 45 cm blade of stunning high-contrast wootz with gold koftgari. Could use a final polish, but I’ve only recently started etching and dare not mess around with wootz yet. Minimal pin-prick pitting. Grip is carved from a huge piece of honey-creamy walrus ivory. By far one of the very best pieces of walrus I’ve seen.

Khanjar 2 is Persian, Qajar period I think, but suspect the blade is much older. As far as I’ve heard from other collectors, the blade is probably wootz, but due to age it now appears matte and almost clay-like. Small, old chip to one edge about 2 cm from the tip. I’m having trouble ID’ing the handle material, because of all the carving. My guess is on very hard and heavy bone, but I also can’t exclude it being some sort of ivory. The carved pommel cap is bone for sure. Comes with a rather tatterede scabbard.

If interested in a trade and you want more pictures/close-ups of anything, just send me a mail!

For a trade I am looking for the following, priority in the order listed. Of course if a piece is old, complete or otherwise nice, it can move up the list.

- Curved Borneo swords
Langai tinggang, parang nyabor/sankit/pedang, Jimpul, pakayun

- Borneo mandaus

- Naga/Kachin Dao
Preferably with bone pommel and talisman/jaw

- Nice Aceh pieces

- Nias ballato
Preferably with amulet ball

- Kalinga head axe

- Moluccas/Ceram pade

- Nice panabas

- Batak swords
Preferably with figural hilt

- Nice Makara-hilted pedang

- Nice swords with lots of hair

- Anything headhunter-related

Go just ahead and send me an email (through my profile) if you are up for a trade and think you have something I might like. .

Talk to you guys, - Thor
Attached Images

T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
T. Koch

Hi guys,

Nothing has come through as of yet, but I am still hopeful that someone out there is holding the right trade.

I will offer the khanjars up here for the required 14 days as per our rules, then they will be sold off site.

If you want them and have something cool from SEA - shoot me an offer - worst I can do is say no thanks.

Here is a comparison pic and another closeup of the wootz.
Attached Images

T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote