Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th November 2016, 08:04 PM   #1
TVV

Default Tebu Sword

Here is a Tebu (or Northern Cameroon) sword for comment. It is 33.5 inches long with the hilt, with a 28 inches blade. The blade is of rhomboid cross section and quite heavy: the sword without scabbard weights 989 grams. I suspect the scabbard is a later replacement.

Where would you place this sword, chronologically and geographically?

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Nice, early 20th century, good antique now. I would have loved to have a piece like this when I was interested in Africa.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I like the blade engravings.
Battara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

This is nice piece. I would say Chad (but I think this "Tebu style" is more spread than we think ...)
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Sajen

Very nice sword indeed!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 02:00 PM   #6
mariusgmioc

Fantastic blade! Locally hand forged and 100% authentic.

To me the scabbard seems to be the original too.

As to your specific inquiry... sorry but I am not knowledgeable enough to be of any help.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 08:38 PM   #7
TVV

Thank you for your comments! One interesting thing examining the sword is that the edges were not formed by grinding, but by pounding.

Martin, I remember a beefy sword from Kano that you posted some time ago, which was reportedly Fulani, even though it was of the "Tebu" style. I wonder if these knives and swords could have been a solution for those, who were not allowed to arm themselves with a takouba in the region. In a way, similar to the bauerwehr in Europe or the yataghan on the Balkans.

Sincerely,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 03:57 PM   #8
Martin Lubojacky

Teodor,
Yes, that sword from Kano had also "Tebu style pommel". Really very heavy sword. The cross-section was nicely lenticular (not rhombic like in your sword). I still have it, and once, whent there is time, I would like to arrange some chemical analysis to determine its age (if such analysis of iron exists - I donīt know...). I do not think it is too much old, but the blade started to exfoliate long time ago. (The whole shape of that sword reminds me gladius. Maybe it is fantasy, maybe not, maybe there was some old influence. The truth is that the Romans fought Garamants and Limes Tripolitanus was relatively deep to the south (through Ghadames etc).

But back to your sword: It is nice, both the blade and knitting on the handle are nicely preserved. I may be wrong, but I think this "knitted" handles may be older than the simpliest styles. But I would not determine the age. I think, in this cases of Tebu knives and swords it is not easy. I think they have been produced in unchanged way for very long time, till, probably, present.

I do not know, if Tebu and Daza trevelled so much, nevertheless one can buy reletively old (I mean not touristic) pieces of these Tebu style daggers from Addis Abeba, through e.g. Tunis and Tripolis till Abuja. And sure, they were spread by land travelling (which is, within the area mentioned above, not easy - even now). The pommel could differ - could be crude, could be spiky, rounded. could have welt or not ... Just collecting only this Tebbu style could be interesting collecting branch..
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote