Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st May 2020, 04:10 PM   #1
mross

Default Khybers

Two Khyber's that are in my collection. They look like they could have been made by the same maker. The one with the missing parts is about 1 inch longer than the other. The one with the complete handle was billed as being wootz by the seller. I did not see it in the ebay pics but knew the seller and he is very good so i went for it. I do not see it I have tried all sorts of angles and different lighting, no go. So I will have to polish it up and etch it. First try will probably be vinegar, if that does not work then I'll go to ferric chloride. But what do you all think of them? The one missing the guard as an interesting figure which would have been under the guard. I have never seen anything like that before.
Attached Images

mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 04:43 PM   #2
mross

Default what is it?

One more photo I was finally able to get the light right on. This is from the khyber with the complete handle that was supposed to be wootz. These images appear on only one side of the blade near the hilt. They seem to be burnished into the polish. Cleary not an optical illusion as there are several of them. They look sort of like a tepee. Does anyone have any ideas as to what they signify? I have never seen anything like it. Also any thought on age and origin? I believe them to be 19th century Afghani, but I am not positive. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

mross is offline   Reply With Quote