Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th January 2015, 12:32 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Interesting war club with cross cultural features

How many times have you said, "man, I wish these things could talk"? Our forum friend Charles likes cross cultural pieces and I think this fits the bill quite well. Plus, we have had a lot of club discussion lately which inspired me to share this example from my collection. It does not have the most refined carving you will ever see but it just has a lot going on that is very interesting. First, I think this is an old one. Easily 19th century but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 18th century or even possibly older. It is a heavy dense wood that has a lot of patina. It has simple geometric carvings that are done deeply and have been carved without the use of metal tools. Now, add in all the interesting European features. At the end of the club is very old iron that has been bent to make spikes and 2 rows of the same bent iron. Is this done in imitation of early war maces? I have seen Aboriginal "hobnail" pieces but the ones I have seen are nails that stick out of a club but not bent over like this. At the other end you have a lot more happening. First is a wrist loop. I am unsure of the exact material but it feels coarse and reminds me of ship rope. The way it is knotted and the coarseness and thickness of it. It has a lot of patina now and has begun to fray in some spots. Below that on the grip is some type of chord wrapping. It is covered in some type of pitch. Reminds me of jute found on Moro kris handles. Above and below the grip are leather strips and attached to that are a few old cowrie shells. So I have lots of questions about this one. Did a native get this material from a sailor or pirate and make this up? If they did, how did they bend these iron nails? Or, did a sailor or pirate pick up this war club in their travels and jazzed it up for their own use? Or are there other theories about this piece? Age? Materials? From where does the club and the material originate. Man, if these things could talk!
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote