Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th July 2012, 06:34 AM   #1
blindside

Default Estimating age on an itak

Any suggestions or rough guidelines on what are indicators of age on Luzon pieces? I recently picked up this through our local Craigslist, it certainly isn't a high end piece, but I am curious how one would go about estimating an age.

The guard isn't aluminum, it has a faint bronze tinge to it, something that I haven't seen before. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by blindside; 24th July 2012 at 03:00 PM.
blindside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Blindside. These images have not been properly uploaded directly to the site. Please edit your post and do that. Use "Attach Files" in the "Additional Options" section directly below the comment box. Images presented through links to other pages often disappear over time leaving future discussions of certain objects impossible. Thanks.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
blindside

Done!
Old 24th July 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

PICTURES OF THE SCABBARD MAY HELP ESTIMATE AGE MORE CLOSELY AS IT APPEARS TO BE LEATHER WITH THE GOOD LEATHER WORK USED ON MANY BOLO'S FROM LUZON. LIKELY LATE 1800's TO EARLY 1900's.
THE LEATHER SCABBARD MAY BE MORE RARE THAN THE SWORD AS MOST OF THIS TYPE OF SWORD I HAVE SEEN EITHER HAS NO SCABBARD OR ONE MADE OF WOOD. I WOULD NOT PUT THE SWORD BACK IN THE SCABBARD AND TAKE STEPS TO PRESERVE IT SEPARATELY AS IT IS IN BAD SHAPE BUT STILL WORTH KEEPING.
HOW TO PRESERVE IT? PERHAPS FORM A PIECE OF WOOD IN THE SHAPE OF THE BLADE AND INSERT IT INTO THE SCABBARD IF IT IS FALLING APART SOME FORM OF ADHESIVE CAN BE USED WHERE NEEDED TO ATTACH IT TO THE WOOD. RUBBER CEMENT MAY WORK BUT HOPEFULLY OTHER OPINIONS WILL BE FORTH COMING. THEN PUT SOME MINK OIL OR SOME OTHER LEATHER PRESERVITIVE ON IT TO SLOW DOWN THE DRYING AND DETERIOATION OF THE LEATHER. KEEP IT WITH THE SWORD .GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Sajen

Nice Itak bolo. Agree in all parts with Barry.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Blindside, This is a very nice bolo that you have acquired. It is a shame that the scabbard has suffered so much damage over the years. I totally agree with Barry with the dating and all of the other observations he made about this piece. As for the guard I would say that it is more than likely made of white brass though there is a slight possibility that it might be nickel. Though this is not as you pointed out a "high end piece" it is by no means at the bottom of the scale either. If you find it hard to look at you can send it to me where it will be proudly displayed with many of its brothers. All in all this is a very nice bolo and would be a fine addition to anyones collection. Thank you for sharing this with the forum.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 07:09 PM   #7
blindside

The "white brass" suggestions makes alot of sense, the guard is a bit loose, and moving it the weight feels less than what I would expect nickel to feel like. And Robert, I wouldn't want to send this on to you, in my collection it is a big fish in a little pond, I wouldn't want to have its ego damaged joining yours.

Is the spiral design and inset chain on the hilt indicative of a particular period of bolo construction?
Old 25th July 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Nirghosa

Ah, Craigslist. Many a good find purchased from less knowledgeable sellers.
Notably I got a very old Pira for a reasonable price and a kampilan listed as a "madagascar sword for cutting coconuts". Great story that one, came from a castle wall in southern Europe as WWII spoils with a French sword.
Nirghosa is offline   Reply With Quote