Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st June 2016, 01:44 AM   #1
nKante

Default Shotel draw

So Abyssinian warriors wore their swords on the right side of the body and drew with the same hand. I strapped my sword in the same relative position that the sword are shown being carried in photos. The best way for me to draw was to orientate my hand, knuckles down, palm gripping the handle, with the back of the hand facing the body. But when the sword is drawn, the live edge of the blade is on the inside of the curve, facing away from the enemy. Does anyone have any information on the traditional drawing method for this sword?
Attached Images

nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 02:43 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

JUST A GUESS BUT I SUSPECT THEY DREW THE SWORD AND SCABBARD TOGETHER AND THEN USED BOTH HANDS TO TAKE THE SWORD FROM THE SCABBARD. I HAVE READ THIS IS HOW THE YATAGHAN WAS DRAWN IN TURKEY AND THAT THE SCABBARD WAS DROPPED OR PERHAPS HELD IN THE OTHER HAND AND USED TO BLOCK. THE ETHIOPIAN SWORD SCABBARDS WOULD LIKELY BE DROPPED AS THEY WOULD NOT BE VERY GOOD FOR BLOCKING. IF YOU WON YOU PICKED UP THE SCABBARD IF YOU LOST YOU DID NOT NEED IT ANYMORE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 03:21 PM   #3
roanoa

Well, the scabbard of the shotel (and gorade) was laced to the belt and could not be removed. I agree that it is pretty difficult to draw long and/or very curved blades unless you use the left hand and then switch hands. Reverse drawing works fine with blades of about 30 inches as long as the scabbard has not shrunk too much.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 06:28 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

IN THAT CASE MY SCENARIO WILL NOT WORK AND ONE WOULD NOT WANT TO FIGHT WITHOUT A BELT AS THE PANTS TEND TO FALL DOWN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:09 AM   #5
thinreadline

In battle the need for a 'quick' draw would be very rare . The sword would have been drawn and orientated correctly long before contact was made .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Jerseyman

Hi Nkante,

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding something here, but your description states that the cutting edge of a shotel or gurade is on the inside (concave) edge of the curve rather than the outside (convex) edge. I have two gurades and they are both double-edged - so in theory they could be used either way round. But I've always assumed they were used like a cavalry sabre with the primary focus on attacking with the convex edge.

I'm in complete agreement with you that the logical draw from that position is as you describe - which would present the sharp convex edge to the opponent in a very efficient rising, attacking draw.

I suppose if it's sharp on both edges then either edge could be used by choice in combat.

The style of hilt seems to indicate a machete-style grip where the blade and forearm remain at roughly 90 degrees to each other - if that is the case it seems more logical to me to attack with the convex edge in a series of drawing cuts. Rather than the concave edge which would become a chopping action with the risk that the forwards-facing point would stick/jam into the shield or body of the opponent. This could be a serious disadvantage in a fight.

I've often been told that in un-armoured fights a sickle-style sword is useful for reaching over/past a shield to an exposed shoulder or head. I've also heard that meeting such a style of sword/attack in Dacia (?) led to changes in the Roman army's armour. I don't have references to support these assertions I'm afraid.

I also have a couple of Zande blades which are very clearly sharpened only on the concave edge. So I'm very aware that this style of blade does exist.

The development of practical weapons was almost always in reference to the context they developed in - indeed in response to the need to overcome some new obstacle/design. Nobody designs a fighting weapon that doesn't work and then continues to produce it. (I accept it is a different matter for ceremonial/ritual weapons) So of course there must have been cultural contexts where a convex-edge blade was the best fighting choice.

I guess what it boils down to is that I think shotel/gurades were used one way and Nkante has the opposite belief (if I'm reading right - apologies if not).

I'd be very interested if anyone has any historical references (written/visual) that would throw light onto the subject.

I'm also happy to be corrected on any of my historical assertions!
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 03:46 PM   #7
roanoa

It seems that there is still some confusion: shotel is the sickle style sword sharpened on both edges vs. gurade (gorade) which is the sabre sharpened on one edge only. Having said that, this is a detail of a painting depicting the Battle of Dogali. It shows how the shotel was used. This painting (very large) shows a large variety of Abyssinian weapons with almost photographic accuracy.
Attached Images

Old 22nd June 2016, 04:51 PM   #8
roanoa

You can Google "Battle of Dogali painting" to get the full picture. It's really amazing.
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:26 PM   #9
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman
Hi Nkante,
...I've often been told that in un-armoured fights a sickle-style sword is useful for reaching over/past a shield to an exposed shoulder or head. I've also heard that meeting such a style of sword/attack in Dacia (?) led to changes in the Roman army's armour. I don't have references to support these assertions I'm afraid.
i have posted pictures earlier of a dacian falx being tested by romans in an earlier thread that discussed them with pics taken by one of the romans and found on an ancient SD card. () along with pics from trajan's column showing legionnaires in combat against them.

the roman helmet pre dacian war had a smooth dome, and post had an added re-enforcing cross ridge on the dome for added protection.

Link to machete thread
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Jerseyman

Ah - a distinction I was unaware of - thanks. It would appear I have a couple of shotel

A great picture as you say. I also note that the artist moved to the battle site and apparently stayed for nearly five years - so I have to suppose that in that time he would have learned how the locals really used their weapons. Therefore unlikely to be any artistic licence at play.

If this is an accurate representation of the traditional weapon grip, then I am as flummoxed as you regarding the draw.

The only way I can see to do it would be to place your right hand on the grip, fingers on top pointing towards your body, thumb underneath - as if about to place your hand on your hip - then pull the hilt around to your right (a quarter rotation). Drop your left hand down past your left hip to grip the base of the scabbard to steady it, then draw out and up to your right. By rotating your upper torso to your right you should also release your shoulder enough to be able to draw a 30 inch blade. As the point clears the scabbard the torsion in your wrist/shoulder would flick it forwards clearing your body and your wrist would rotate the blade clockwise into guard or the first attack.

I've used similar draws on a variety of blades worn on the back of the belt. It may seem clumsy in writing, but with a little practice it becomes a fluid and fast draw - particularly if the equipment allows it. If the blade slips easily from the scabbard for example.

Of course I am extrapolating from the information I have, rather than speaking from a position of historical knowledge. But in my experience, when you have certain fixed nodes of information, there are only a limited number of ways the variables can go together.

I take your point Thinreadline about the quick draw and of course you're right. But I'd also suggest that pragmatically, a warrior who carries weapons regularly is inevitably going to need to draw them in rapid response to a threat sometime, and it seems more likely to me that those who fight often are unlikely to put themselves in a position where it's awkward to get to their weapons. Just a thought.

Kronckew - that's great information and images - thanks. Amazing to see the damage that falx did!

I really hope someone has an answer to the traditional draw - it's always fascinating to see how different cultures resolve the same issue.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:51 PM   #11
kronckew

... ancilliary photos: roman helmets, earlier and with cross bar on the crown during/after dacian war. the 'crossed' one was actually found in dacia, modern day romania.
Attached Images

Old 22nd June 2016, 05:58 PM   #12
kronckew

video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhe6kxlRAA
Old 28th June 2016, 11:37 PM   #13
nKante

Thanks for the replies.
The gentleman in the video is DaMon Stith out of Austin, Texas. He is doing some really cool things and recently started a Historical African Martial Arts page on Facebook. It was a picture he posted of a warrior posing with his sword half drawn that made me ask the question. From the picture it looks like the sword will be drawn with inner blade towards him. I was thinking maybe it was drawn like this for the picture.
Jerseyman, I was thinking something along the same lines. I was playing around with a sickle and came up with a 'cowboy' style draw. Imagine the classic western 'getting ready to draw stance'. With the handle pointing forward, the back of the thumb is placed on the bottom of the handle. As the hand is raised.the thumb rotates the sword around until the handle is basically facing the rear. The thumb ends up on top of the handle and now the hand can close on the handle. The arm is extended straight back pulling the sword from the sheath. With an upward flick of the wrist the curve of the sword helps it come out of the scabbard.
Attached Images

nKante is offline   Reply With Quote