Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2014, 09:55 PM   #1
S.Workman

Default Bali Keris #3

Hello everyone, I thought I would try to elicit some responses on yet another keris, purportedly from Bali. Its not very big, the blade is perhaps 11" long. The gajah, if that is the right term, is very fine, about the thickness of a dime if even. I am of two minds, one part of me wants to renew the pamor and clean up the one one section of pitting. The other wants to let well enough alone.
I don't know anything about this keris except where it is said to be from, what the pamor is, what social position it represents, or anything. So, any hypotheses, theories, or conjectures are appreciated.
One more thing, I think its from an old European shop or collection, it has some kind of glued on tag but it was written in pencil, long ago mostly worn off.
What do you all think?
Attached Images

S.Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Can you show a shot looking at the fit of blade to scabbard ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 01:03 AM   #3
S.Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Can you show a shot looking at the fit of blade to scabbard ?
Sure thing, here you go. One other thing, the first pic shows the point where the wrapped peksi enters the hulu. It seems to be wrapped with a whole lot of some very fine material, but while it is very firmly set, it is a touch cocked in overall relation to the rest of the assemblage. I can't tell what the wood of the hulu is, it looks for all the world like sycamore, although of course thats really unlikely.
The fit in the scabbard is very good, no rattle at all. One last thing, the ganjah is loose on the tang. Not bad, but its a bit annoying.
You can see in that first picture how loose and cocked off the ganjah is, but the fineness of the akut, is it? has me hesitant. This hulu is really on there, and I am sure I could fix the ganjah, but….
Attached Images

Old 11th June 2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

The pamor almost looks drawn on the blade; but I know it is not .
The blade has a nice polish .
Bali or Lombok .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 02:32 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Respectable old Bali keris. The blade is a little unusually short for Bali blades, but not unprecedented. I have one that only just a bit longer that yours. The sheath looks to be a true pelet patterned wood. Sometimes they fake this with markers or dye. Pamor names aren't my strong point, but yours looks to be a fairly common kulit semangka (melon pattern).
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 03:14 AM   #6
S.Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Respectable old Bali keris. The blade is a little unusually short for Bali blades, but not unprecedented. I have one that only just a bit longer that yours. The sheath looks to be a true pelet patterned wood. Sometimes they fake this with markers or dye. Pamor names aren't my strong point, but yours looks to be a fairly common kulit semangka (melon pattern).
Haha, it's real patterned wood! There are a couple of cracks that allow you to observe the surface. It's a nice keris, I think it needs work but I am going to wait a while.