Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd January 2022, 11:47 AM   #31
gp

and last but not least one pic of the fierce and brave warriors of Atjeh / Aceh
Attached Images

gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2022, 12:35 PM   #32
gp

although mostly spoken about the klewang with regards to Indonesia, the Royal Marechaussee is part of the Dutch military.
And thus in the Netherlands in a double role as both military police and as border patrol/border security as well.
Requirement at the earliest times were next to a good health a certain minimum lenght and able to ride a horse.

Enclosed 2 pics with a personal touch: one in full gear and one of my grandfather with his fellow mates at the Dutch Belgium border at Eijsden between 1914-1918 ( the Netherlands being neutral in the Great War)
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 23rd January 2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 23rd January 2022, 04:43 PM   #33
cel7

interesting photos GP! Looks like your grandpa is carrying an M1895 cavalry officer's saber.
cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2022, 05:58 PM   #34
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel7 View Post
interesting photos GP! Looks like your grandpa is carrying an M1895 cavalry officer's saber.
thank you for the feedback and your "hawkeye". I have found proof ; a pic of a NCO during the same time , opperwachtmeester Marechaussee A. Brekelmans around 1930 , who has the M1895 saber mentioned by you.

2 more pics some time later when they were parading in front of and being inspected by the Queen (Wilhelmina)

and in action with horse ; I was told their horses were sometimes threated better then....☻☻☻
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 23rd January 2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 23rd January 2022, 07:44 PM   #35
gp

Back to the klewang; I just bought a klewang.
Its hilt/grip refurbished (unfortunately but you can't always get wot you want...☻ )
The blade a Hembrug marked with a B and crown, which stands for an inspection sign / mark by L. Brossois, who who was active in Maastricht NL around 1890.

Your thoughts please...
Attached Images

Old 23rd January 2022, 09:27 PM   #36
cel7

A nice piece of wood has been used and the finish is also neat. It seems to me that this is a more recent adjustment by someone who, for some reason, still had a loose blade lying around.
Old 23rd January 2022, 10:13 PM   #37
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel7 View Post
A nice piece of wood has been used and the finish is also neat. It seems to me that this is a more recent adjustment by someone who, for some reason, still had a loose blade lying around.
thank you very much for your swift feedback. I was not sure about the time of replacement but assumed it might not be an old one. Thanks for confirmg this, highly appreciated !

Last edited by gp; 24th January 2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 23rd January 2022, 10:32 PM   #38
ruiter58

Default A nice piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
Back to the klewang; I just bought a klewang.
Its hilt/grip refurbished (unfortunately but you can't always get wot you want...☻ )
The blade a Hembrug marked with a B and crown, which stands for an inspection sign / mark by L. Brossois, who who was active in Maastricht NL around 1890.

Your thoughts please...
I can not tell you anything you do not know yet but I like what they made of the klewang. It looks good and I would for sure not mind if it where part of my collection. Think the grip must be quite big as it seems to be slided over the tang. If I would have seen it on a market or online I would have tried to buy it. Congrats!
Kind regards, Ron
ruiter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 04:08 PM   #39
gp

Thank you Ron.Your comment made me curious and am looking forward to hold it in my hand an see it when it arrives within the next couple of days.
Any tips on what to do with the blade or how to clean it? Or do you recommend to leave it as is?

groetjes

Gunar
Old 24th January 2022, 06:17 PM   #40
cel7

I would only oil it lightly with ballistol or something similar. I don't see much rust or other deposits on it.
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:24 PM   #41
gp

Thank you all for your input; highly appreciated!

The klewang arrived today and no need to clean it indeed: it is in excellent condition.
As for the grip: it lies firm and pleasently in the hand, even if it is not a quite smal one...☺
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 2nd February 2022 at 07:47 PM.