Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2008, 09:03 PM   #1
ausjulius

Default miniature swords

well i didn't know where to put this, i was thinking in the european section, but then there is a lot of other miniatures that arnt made in europe , although the mini letter opener swords seem to be the bulk.

i was more interested in functional miniature swords, that is little copies of larger swords,
ive seen some very nice chinese miniatures looking to be from the 1900s or so and some miniature kindjals that were perfect replicas of larger form ,
alas i have fotos to share,

occasionaly on ebay these items come up as well , recently i saw a very nice miniature scottish basket hilted sword and in the past some tiny indonesian kris daggers ..

if anyone has in their collection some nice minitures please share

i do wounder how far back making functional miniatures of swords and knives goes??
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 03:07 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default A suggestion

G'day Ausjulius.

I spoke with R.D.C. Evans a few years ago, the author of "The Plug Bayonet" Upon selling his amazing plug bayonet collection he indicated to me that his intent was to write another books on this very subject.
I suggest tracking his email address down and contacting him direct, he may be able to offer you information on the subject. I beleive a few members may be able to help bring you two together.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 04:43 AM   #3
celtan

German miniature daggers come to mind, they were non-reg, and basically came in two flavors, letter openers and mementos.

I own one of the Luftwaffe First Model, out of three or perhaps four letter-openers known in existence.

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
G'day Ausjulius.

I spoke with R.D.C. Evans a few years ago, the author of "The Plug Bayonet" Upon selling his amazing plug bayonet collection he indicated to me that his intent was to write another books on this very subject.
I suggest tracking his email address down and contacting him direct, he may be able to offer you information on the subject. I beleive a few members may be able to help bring you two together.

Gav

Hi Gav and Ausjulius,
What an interesting topic! and I would be uncertain as well exactly on how this would be classified as these are not exactly weapons...however they would be considered associated items. There are of course many ethnographic and traditional weapons that are no longer functional as such, yet serve as elements of traditional costume or ceremonial regalia.

In any case, intriguing, and I also recall when Roger Evans sold off the incredible plug bayonet collection he had amassed and written on for many years. I must admit I was surprised when he told me of his project on miniature weapons, as it was so unusual, and I honestly could not think of anything specifically on the subject. I have written him upon seeing this, so hopefully I will hear from him. Its been a while since communicating with him so hopefully we'll hear soon.

Maybe this is an idea I could use....a sword collection that would fit in the bookmobile!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Here are a few from the Philippines. They are probably in the letter opener class except one that I'm not sure what it is. From the left a Spanish influenced Dagger that has Port Sual Luzon scratched into the grip, length 7" The next is a Garab, length 6-1/2".The next a Talibon, length 7" and the last I don't know what to call, length 8-3/4". It is much better made and sharp enough to be used as a razor. If anyone has any ideas on the last one please let me know. Thank you.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 07:30 AM   #6
ausjulius

interesting the little philipino knives, in mexico making miniature knives and also miniature pistols and rifles was a common trinket business in he 1930s or so, ive seen many mini machetes and swords and bowie knives and such aswell as mini k98 and 1896 mausers and colt 1911 pistols and such.. looking all made by hand..

i wounder what is the oldest miniature sword or knives that has been found.....
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 02:41 AM   #7
trenchwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
G'day Ausjulius.

Gav
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I heard that Mr. Evans Passed away a couple of years ago? Not long after he purchased a miniature bayonet from me on ebay. Also. Some of the better made German sword and dagger mini's are salesman's samples. M.P.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I heard that Mr. Evans Passed away a couple of years ago? Not long after he purchased a miniature bayonet from me on ebay. Also. Some of the better made German sword and dagger mini's are salesman's samples. M.P.
Are you sure? It seems like I've spoken with him since then, but I cant be sure, the last year and a half has been pretty disconnected, and the email I just sent him came back. I hope this isnt true! He was excited about retirement and his work on miniature weapons.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 09:03 PM   #9
asomotif

MINI JIMPUL / APPROX 1900-1930.

Ps. as miniatures are involved. can we all mention the size or put something in the picture to give some reference to size
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 09:12 PM   #10
asomotif

RENCONG / LETTER OPENER ? Next to his full size brother.
I have no idea on the age of this miniature rencong.
Once I have been told that they sometimes date from pre ww2 period.
But I also see well made comtemporary rencong that are more of a letter opener than a belly opener.
Not how transparant the horn scabbard is.
Attached Images

Old 19th December 2008, 09:18 PM   #11
asomotif

Small mandau. In fact this is not a miniature, but made for a child.

For the connaisseurs, note that the shape of the scabbard suggests that this childs mandau was worn on the left
while the shape of the blade suggest right handed 'use'.
Attached Images