Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2012, 05:47 AM   #1
NovelsRus

Post Middle Eastern Mystery Dagger #2 - Bird Head

Hi, all,
First a big thanks to all the forum members who helped me I.D. that first mystery dagger (chainpuri churi), esp. Espada, who owns one himself. (That makes two of us on the planet that I know of, Esp.)

Now for the next mystery. My wife tells me her late great-uncle in Arkansas, a retired antiques dealer, used this dagger for years and years as a letter-opener. I've since seen these on eBay and elsewhere (at ludicrously inflated prices, I M H O), so I ceased all letter-opening activities, polished it, sharpened it (Arkansas whetstone, what else?) and now present it to you. What IS this thing? A mini Jambiya? Kenshar? Or is it.....a letter-opener?
Attached Images

NovelsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
broadaxe

Very nice dagger, one of the best executed of this type that I've seen so far. It is a south Lebanese khanjar from the district of Jezzin. There is even a folding version with a similar hilt.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
NovelsRus

Thumbs up Broadaxe hits it dead-bang!

Right you are, sir. Finally stumbled across the town of Jezzine, in southern Lebanon, as THE capitol of such bird-headed daggers. Seems the place is world-famous for silverware, flatware, cutlery, etc. And, since I learned this is actually a Khanjar, that makes it a Jezzine Lebanese Khanjar. Or letter opener.

Thanks for the help, Broadaxe. I appreciate it.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
broadaxe

Default No problem

Glad I could be of help. How long is this khanjar? regular size is about 25cm or 10" overall. I think the bird hilt was ragarded as presentation, rather a daily carry dagger. To my best knowledge the personal arm in Lebanon and Upper Galilee (northern Israel) was a broader khanjar with a flat hilt, sometimes in the shape of simplified horsehead, like in the attached photo.
Attached Images

broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Here is a folding version I brought from Damascus a few years ago. I am glad to know where it is really comming from, now. Thanks
Regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 04:20 PM   #6
NovelsRus

Smile In answer to Broadaxe, Re: Birdheaded Khanjar

Broadaxe -- the dagger is 11" overall in the scabbard; out of it, the knife's 10.5".

As for the folding version, that has to rank as one of the coolest little folding blades I've ever seen. How long is that, when open? I must have one.