Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st March 2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Ann Feuerbach

Default Need Yataghan photos

Hi all, Perhaps some of you could help me with images. I am writing a paper on differences in the metal and decoration used for making yataghans. I am looking images for a crucible steel yataghan, pattern welded, Turkish ribbon if possible. Also details of different inlay methods...gilding etc. PM is you have. I will refer to the blade as that in a private collection or your name, whichever you want. Thanks. Time is of the essence.
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 09:18 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Feuerbach
Hi all, Perhaps some of you could help me with images. I am writing a paper on differences in the metal and decoration used for making yataghans. I am looking images for a crucible steel yataghan, pattern welded, Turkish ribbon if possible. Also details of different inlay methods...gilding etc. PM is you have. I will refer to the blade as that in a private collection or your name, whichever you want. Thanks. Time is of the essence.
Ann, I have three "Turkish ribbon" yataghan available, these are not my photos but if needed I could attempt to rephotograph.

Quote:
Large, heavy Ottoman yatagan/yataghan sword, 19 Century or earlier. Very fine forged Damascus steel were several rows of twisted steel bars are forge welded together to produce the pattern known as "Turkish Ribbon". Ivory grips with silver covered grip strap and bolsters. Brass mounted, leather covered original scabbard with spiral stitching. 27 inch blade with a 2 inch wide belly and T spine, length including scabbard, 34 inches.

Quote:
Ottoman yataghan / yatagan sword , mid to late 19th century. The blade is forged in the classical Ottoman structure of twisted steel rods in a pattern known as Turkish Ribbon. The grip is horn. The interesting part is the wood scabbard, carved in a North African style, may be Algerian, very similar to the wood carving of Flyssa swords from the area. Blade 23 inches. Total 29 inches.

Quote:
Ottoman yatagan/yataghan sword, the blade is early 19th century or even earlier, signed with a maker mark and forged from twisted steel bars in the pattern known as “Turkish Ribbon”. At some later date, probably end of the 19th century or early 20th century the blade was remounted with horn grips, brass grips strap and bolsters, and a new chased brass scabbard cover was added. Total length 32 inches, the blade is 26 inches long.

Last edited by estcrh; 1st April 2014 at 09:32 PM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Ann Feuerbach

Thanks loads but I think I am all set now...thanks to wonderful members! Nice pics!
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote