Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th November 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
B.I

Default One of the Best Books of Recent Times!!

i know that ariel posted on this book a while ago. i have had it for some time, but felt compelled to try and get others that would normally ignore it to buy and read it.
the book i am refering to is donald larocca's himalayan exhibition. the more i read it, the better it gets. this book is completely out of my sphere of interest, but it is so bloody well written that i know anyone would find it appealing. i love the way the book has been laid out, and the way he is humble in his own knowledge. i fully respect both the text and the cataloguing.
i dont care if he doesnt commit himself with dating. by stating something is 15th-18thC just shows us that this book is appealling for more work to be done on the subject. it doesnt attempt to be definative, but more one man's passion for the subject that he hopes others will continue.
the price is meaningless, and a bargain for the content and study that has gone into it.
it really is both a serious study and pure eye-candy. i have been lucky to have seen some fantastic tibetan arms, as many of the objects from this exhibition came via london. however, larocca's taste in aquisition is outstanding and we know that his instigated both the exhibition and the aquisitions to cater for a passion that he felt ought to be shared.
i may alternate this book between both academic and 'picture book' as it fills both cravings. i will also buy a second copy, as i know my current copy will suffer quite a few re-reads and deteriation through use. i cant say that too often these days!
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Ann Feuerbach

I got it too. It is a great book, I just have not had time to read it all. Definitely recommended.
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Strongly recommended

LaRocca, Donald J., et. al. Warriors of the Himalayas: Rediscovering the Arms and Armor of Tibet. New York: (Yale University Press for) Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2006.

I suspect this has pretty much redefined the standard for a top-level arms and armour book today. "320 pages, 295 illustrations (including 210 in full color), 10 1/4 in. x 11 1/4 in." Available in hardcover or paperback from the museum via their website. (As upper level museum members all received a complimentary copy in hardcover, one may wish to check their favorite on-line second hand booksellers. But the book is very reasonably priced direct and new from the museum - 75$/45$ for non members.)
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 07:07 PM   #4
RomaRana

It was also an amazing exhibit. The book does not do the layout and lighting justice.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 01:59 AM   #5
dennee

Terrific book and exhibit. Each has its own strengths in terms of presentation. Seeing the objects live permitted a chance to see them in the round, but the downlighting did not always show them to their best advantage.

Don LaRocca is a great guy, and he did this in about three years, learning Tibetan in order to pursue this interest! The descriptions are very clear and on point. LaRocca at least broached nearly all of the questions that have occurred to me. He makes a great stab at dating based on educated guesses about the evolution of arms and armor and on comparative work with Chinese weapons and other Tibetan artifacts. Precious little is known for certain about Tibetan arms. Although the last engagement in which swords were a primary weapon occurred in Tibet only a half century ago, from what I can see, folks there now know very little about the weapons.

My favorite book (and you can sometimes find copies of the hardcover on the Web for less than $50).
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Justin

I got my copy about a month ago from Amazon.com ,it is well worth the price.I havent read much in it yet but the little I have read has been very enlightening.As BI noted there are also some very impressive photos as well.

I dont think I have ever seen such gorgeous saddles,looks like Tibetan horses went around in style
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote