Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd January 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Non edged ethnograhic item

Hello,

I have bought this "sexual" charm years ago on a flee market. The two pieces are fixed together with a small fiber cord. The female charm is from white horn while the male charm is from boar tusk (I think like this). Have someone seen something similar? Do someone know from where this is? And for what it was used? In all the years I collecting I never come across something similar and I hope that someone from you are able to enlighten me!

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

More importantly Detlef.....has it worked for you...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
More importantly Detlef.....has it worked for you...
Lol, every day!!
Old 22nd January 2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Nathaniel

Hmm...interesting piece, Detlef, I'm not sure where this one comes from, but many cultures have phallic talisman/ amulet/ worship for obviously belief in fertility/creation or protection. For instance in Indian Hinduism you have the Shiva Linga. In Thailand, to they have a phallic symbol called the Palad Khik. The traditional belief for little boys is to wear this type of amulet for protection to fool spirits into thinking they are adults. For adults, (both men and women) you also see the amulet used for protection and good luck.
Attached Images

Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Sajen

Hello Nathaniel,

thank you for your input. I know Palad Khik from Thailand but my feeling is that this one is a tribal item. I have the hope that someone can nail down the origin by the used materials. This striped white horn material from the female charm I have never seen.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
colin henshaw

With the ivory and the twine - it has a bit of a Central Africa (Congo) look to it ?? The female part could be made out of hippo tusk...

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
With the ivory and the twine - it has a bit of a Central Africa (Congo) look to it ?? The female part could be made out of hippo tusk...

Regards.

Hello Colin,

thank you very much for your input! So you think that the male part is ivory? I was unsure about this and have thought because the form that it is boar tusk.
Hippo tusk is as well a very good hint, have it a look like this?
My feeling have been as well that it is an african item but don't want to write because I want to read irrespective opinions.
Thank you again,

Detlef
Old 23rd January 2012, 07:51 AM   #8
colin henshaw

Hi Detlef

The phallus part does look like ivory, with those dark patina areas - reminds me of Lega or Luba ivories. I've had hippo tusks and they get that type of ridged surface and pale patina near the roots.

The Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium must be the ultimate authority on Congo stuff - if you want to try them. My guess is its an amulet or divination type object. Interesting piece - if you get tired of it and want to pass it on - let me know !

Regards
Colin
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi Detlef

The phallus part does look like ivory, with those dark patina areas - reminds me of Lega or Luba ivories. I've had hippo tusks and they get that type of ridged surface and pale patina near the roots.

The Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium must be the ultimate authority on Congo stuff - if you want to try them. My guess is its an amulet or divination type object. Interesting piece - if you get tired of it and want to pass it on - let me know !

Regards
Colin
Hi Colin,

very intersting, thank you very much!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
kronckew

hard to consider without any size references. dimensions please.

the 'male' item looks like a baculum, the other looks like a thick toe nail.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote