Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2022, 02:39 PM   #1
aspalathos

Default Id rifle

Please need some info . Is it balkan? Looks like shishana but dont think it is..
Attached Images

aspalathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:38 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

LOVE the damascus barrel and the MOP inlays. I would say that this looks Ottoman Turkish - not sure about Balkan, but I'll let others correct me.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2022, 09:37 PM   #3
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
LOVE the damascus barrel and the MOP inlays. I would say that this looks Ottoman Turkish - not sure about Balkan, but I'll let others correct me.
agree with you. I also think Ottoman-Turkish.
Why?
Some typical characteristics:

the tulip like decoration, which is typical Turkish and Ottoman Turkish.
Next to the repetitive decorations in Sufi-like style which you also can find in Turkey and Ottoman Turkey.

Although sufism is well spread in the Balkans, specially Albania and Hercegova and also Bosnia...you do not see this kind of decoration there but rather other repetitive types.
But never exclude the odd exception...
Attached Images

gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2022, 08:22 AM   #4
corrado26

The tulip decoration is typical for the Ottoman Empire - it was the home of all the tulips we know today. Its lock is very interesting!
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2022, 04:16 PM   #5
David R

The chunky butt-stock made me think Turkish as well.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2022, 06:49 PM   #6
cyten

I've seen this rifle posted somewhere before, I recall the very strange "hammer". I imagine it must be a replacement and appears to be one piece, no way to separate the jaws to replace the flint. My guess is that it was made to replace a missing cock, with some kind of material stuffed in the crevice to allow it to spark for show.
The forend of the stock is strange to me as it is angular, like the butt. The lock also seems rather large and the triggerguard doesn't quite match the style and may be a replacement as well.

I would put this as late 17th / early 18th century Turkish. Elgood's "Arms of Greece & Her Balkan Neighbors in the Ottoman Period" has some similar examples, aside from the hammer/cock of course.
cyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2022, 05:38 PM   #7
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyten View Post
I've seen this rifle posted somewhere before, I recall the very strange "hammer". I imagine it must be a replacement and appears to be one piece, no way to separate the jaws to replace the flint. My guess is that it was made to replace a missing cock, with some kind of material stuffed in the crevice to allow it to spark for show.
The forend of the stock is strange to me as it is angular, like the butt. The lock also seems rather large and the triggerguard doesn't quite match the style and may be a replacement as well.

I would put this as late 17th / early 18th century Turkish. Elgood's "Arms of Greece & Her Balkan Neighbors in the Ottoman Period" has some similar examples, aside from the hammer/cock of course.
Percussion conversion?
Old 16th December 2022, 03:22 PM   #8
cyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Percussion conversion?
no bolster, drum, or nipple visible and the frizzen still intact.
Old 17th December 2022, 12:11 AM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:

As you say there is no way to separate the jaws BUT there looks to be a screw on the top of the "jaw" which could well secure a new flint.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2022, 08:24 AM   #10
cyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1 View Post
As you say there is no way to separate the jaws BUT there looks to be a screw on the top of the "jaw" which could well secure a new flint.
Stu
Where? Take a look at the third photo, I dont see anything to secure
Old 17th December 2022, 12:48 PM   #11
David R

Quote:
no bolster, drum, or nipple visible and the frizzen still intact.
One of the early options was a tube containing fulminate that was stuck in the vent. The Hapsburg Empire went a long way down that road as it looked like an easy conversion from Flintlocks. Read all about it here.https://capandball.com/the-story-of-...nition-system/
Old 18th December 2022, 04:40 PM   #12
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post

Very interesting. Austria-Hungary may well have Turkish flintlocks they converted. Seems the problem was NOT with the tubes, but with keeping them together with the paper cartridges.

First rule of explosives is 'keep the explosives and the primers/caps/fuses separate until JUST before use.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2022, 02:07 PM   #13
David R

I was thinking more along the lines of a "local" adopting and adapting the tube fire system as an easy to do and easy to reverse upgrade to the gun he has.