Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st May 2022, 05:56 AM   #1
Pitt1999

Default A Simple Jambiya

Recently purchased this very simple jambiya. This is my first jambiya of the classic form with the central rib blade and I/H shaped handle. This is probably the most simply furnished jambiya that I have seen. The hilt appears to be either a dark wood or a light wood that is painted black. I remember an earlier thread that highlights the odd construction of jambiyas in which the "pins" in the handle are not for holding the blade to the hilt, but are simply for decoration. This piece emphasizes this detail by the pins not even going through the entire hilt, being present on only one side of the hilt. The one thing I am hoping is that the blade is not hollow, reading some of the threads on the forum discussing how common it is to find hollow blades on recently produced jambiya made me hesitant to buy a jambiya. I'm hoping the person who wore this piece saved some money on the hilt to be able to have a more quality blade . As always any comments are appreciated!

P.S. These photos are the seller's photos. I will add my own once I receive the dagger
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 09:08 AM   #2
David R

I have one very like it with a dark horn grip. Probably Yemeni, see photo of similar in wear.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 11:04 AM   #3
ariel

I do not think the blade is "hollow", i.e. constructed from two flat-steel stamped halves that are welded together at the edges. Those are rounded, but yours is normally "triangled" with variable width of the rib along its course. I have never handled a " hollow" jambiya, but imagine that the blade will emit a " hollow" sound when struck. Also ( again imagining), the edges will show traces of the weld. When you get it in your hand, check and let us know.

Seems like a solid example.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2022, 01:09 AM   #4
Pitt1999

Thanks for the reminder about the difference in the shape of the ridge, that is a detail that I forget about when looking at jambiya. There is a detail on the blade that I have seen on a few other jambiya blades that, to my recollection, hasn't been discussed on the forum before and that is this cross hatched pattern at the base of the blade. From some of the videos I have seen showing modern jambiya production, a resin is used to hold the blade into the hilt in some examples. I imagine with this type of construction, that cross hatching would serve to give the resin something to grab onto rather than just smooth steel. With my example, this pattern seems to now serve as a bit of decorative flair to an otherwise plain object.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 08:43 PM   #5
David R

Your post reminded me to record this one of my own. Plain Buffalo horn hilt, no scabbard, and bought as a "place holder" for the type.
Interestingly, on another site it claimed that plain wood was the choice for serious "users" as opposed to those worn for status.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote