Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 23rd March 2022, 10:36 AM   #1
milandro

Default metal or fiber wraps on a kris gandar

Sometimes I see krises ( especially Bugis style) which gandar has had a “ wrap” either made of metal wire or fiber ( Cotton or Hemp maybe). I particularly like this look and prefer it to some metal decoration on the kris.

I was wondering if anyone of the members has tried to add this or restore a kris which featured this and lost it.

Of course there are those who want to preserve the “ original looks” cost what costs but others may have a different stance to this “ problem” and actually believe that the external attribute to the kris are all subject to deterioration which implies that they can be, in time, changed. I find that a new hilt or mendak can be changed and so can any other parts of a kris. You may have a different idea, but to each his or her own.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2022, 09:49 AM   #2
milandro

just to be clear about what I asking, I refer to this kind of “ wrap”.

there are many situations in which one would want to make such a wrap. After all even in the country of origins Krises are subject to repair and even updating with parts such as the sarong, the mendak, the hilts....

(disclaimer: pictures are from internet they belong to now closed auctions , the krises are not mine nor am i the maker of these pictures)

Old 25th March 2022, 03:06 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Milandro, you are showing two completely different kinds of wrapping that serve very different practical or cultural purposes.
The top photo is an example of a type of wrapping that i can only assume is used to protect the sheath stem from wear. I have a couple of examples of this kind of thing in my own collection, both on Bugis style keris. Often this type of binding occurs on gandar that are made in two pieces so it seems it likely serves the function of holding the two halves together.
The second wrapping you show is known as Passio Sumange or Toli Toli. There does seem to be more to this wrap than simple practical purpose, though it may have begun as that. But there is some debate as to the real or original purpose for this. Often this simple string wrap is replaced by fancier loops made of precious metals and studded with gemstones.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=loop+keris

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=loop+keris
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2022, 03:12 PM   #4
milandro

Thanks David, very nice.
Old 25th March 2022, 05:44 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

This is my favourite keris with a wrapped sheath stem. It is, as you can see, obviously in the family of Bugis influence, though i can't say for certain that only Bugis keris have used this wrap style.
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2022, 09:03 AM   #6
milandro

yes it is very beautiful and I was precisely wondering how to add such a wrap to the sheath? Has anyone done it?
Old 26th March 2022, 04:28 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

I've never done it. On this one of mine it does appear that some glue of some type may have been used to secure it, but i don't know what is traditional. There are certainly ways to tie off a wrap like this without the use of adhesives. Also the glue may have just been a repair to fix a loose piece. Impossible to know at this point i'm afraid.
Attached Images

Old 27th March 2022, 09:07 AM   #8
milandro

very nice indeed. I guess some amount of glue would be needed to have a tight fit and that may have ben natural glues in the past or artificial ones now.

I am not much of a DIY but enjoy these things (at least seeing them) ,unfortunately specific information on the manufacture of anything kris related is very sketchy and for the most part in local languages.

this is a video about something else but the wrapping technique ( especially the way he closes the wrap) can be very useful as an inspiration (it would be nice if there would be a way for this forum to embed videos so that they can be played directly )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWD58gWY10

Last edited by milandro; 27th March 2022 at 09:49 AM. Reason: addition
Old 8th June 2022, 10:06 AM   #9
milandro

I am coming back to this thread which I started because I’ve bought a Bugis kris which obviously has had, at some point, one of this wraps or ligatures. I am still wondering on how to make one in the best possible way for someone with two left hands.
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2022, 01:32 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

I not at all sure what was going on with this particular sheath Milandro. Whatever was here is not the same kind of wrap that i posted on my keris above, which i believe is meant to preserve the stem from wear and damage. I don't see any reason why the wood would need to be notched like this to place a wrap on the sheath. I suspect there is something non-traditional at work here. These grooves are rather inexpertly carved here. It may have been someone's idea of a repair and may have even been done outside of the culture.
But it would certainly improve the look of this sheath to lay either a fiber or wire wrap into those grooves to fill them up. May suggestion would be to work with some kind of nature fiber cord. It is inexpensive and whatever you do would not be permanent so if it doesn't turn out well the first time you can easily remove it and try again. Good luck.
Old 9th June 2022, 02:50 PM   #11
milandro

I have seen other bugis in the NL wrapped with simple rope before (there is one for sale right now , not mine, but I won’t post a picture) , if there is no notch rope would slide off, maybe this was meant to help a toli toli to stay in place (would have been invisible).

This is another one witha simple Toli Toli which may have been adorning a kris like this ( from a museum collection)
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2022, 04:29 PM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
I have seen other bugis in the NL wrapped with simple rope before (there is one for sale right now , not mine, but I won’t post a picture) , if there is no notch rope would slide off, maybe this was meant to help a toli toli to stay in place (would have been invisible).

This is another one witha simple Toli Toli which may have been adorning a kris like this ( from a museum collection)
Bugis keris are not my main pursuit, but no, i do not believe one needs to notch the wood to prevent a simple cord Passio Sumange from sliding off. In the first link about Passio Sumange that i posted above the first post shows a step-by-step photo series of someone tying a Passio Sumange onto a sheath and there does not appear to be any notched wood in that example. Perhaps someone with more experience with this can weigh in.