Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2014, 10:58 PM   #1
drac2k

Default 2 nice Philippine Insurrection Swords

I was fortunate enough to win these two @ auction. The larger sword has a blade that measures 21" x 1 1/2"; it is single edged(except the last 6" of the backside of the spearpoint, which is razor sharp as well), and very sharp.It is not a machete blade;it has a spine thickness at the base of approx. 3/16".
The smaller sword has a blade length of 20";the last 6 " of the backside of the spearpoint has a sharp edge.One side is flat and the other side has a raised medial edge.
Both would be very effective weapons !
Attached Images

Last edited by drac2k; 10th May 2014 at 11:44 PM.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Sajen

Two very interesting Luzon swords! Good to have them in such an good state and with intact leather scabbards. Very good addition to your collection!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 02:30 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks;did you determine they were Luzon swords by the blade configurations, the handles or the scabbards ? They almost look like naval cutlasses, but I don't think that they had much (or any navy), during the Philippine insurrections ;am I wrong in this assumption ?
Old 11th May 2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
Thanks;did you determine they were Luzon swords by the blade configurations, the handles or the scabbards ? They almost look like naval cutlasses, but I don't think that they had much (or any navy), during the Philippine insurrections ;am I wrong in this assumption ?
The overall appearance let me be sure that they are from Luzon, the peened through tang, the handles byself and also the leather scabbards are typical for Luzon swords.
I don't think that they have had navy during the Philippine insurrection but frankly said I just don't know.
I am sure that others will confirm that they are from Luzon, special Robert have a great and good collection of this type of swords.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 11th May 2014, 06:50 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Drac2k, I totally agree with Detlef's assessment of your swords and would also like to add my congratulations on your being able to acquire them for your collection. As for whether or not these are naval cuttlesses I cannot say, but General Emilio Aguinaldo, leader of the revolution, organized the Philippine Navy on June 23, 1898.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
As for whether or not these are naval cuttlesses I cannot say, but General Emilio Aguinaldo, leader of the revolution, organized the Philippine Navy on June 23, 1898.
Thank you for the information, good to know!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 12th May 2014, 02:50 PM   #8
drac2k

Yes, also thanks for the information ;I'll start to research General Aquinaldo's formation of a Philippine Navy. Preliminary research for myself has shown that Naval operations were a important part of American tactics in regards to taking forts, conveying troops,destroying batteries as well as supplying food, ammunition, etc.I am also sure that they could blockade supplies to the rebels as well as regulate or restrict river commerce. I would think, that were the Philippine Navy to be effective in engaging the Americans, it would have to be in the shallow rivers, with the assistance of shore batteries.
Old 12th May 2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Drac2K,
If you PM me your email address I can send you a PDF with some information that might interest you.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 05:25 PM   #10
trenchwarfare

Years ago, I bought a sword off ebay, very similar in design to the "D" guarded one. The handle was plain, and hexagonal in cross section. The guard was much thicker. Sold it on ebay, to a gentleman who said it was a Philippine navy cutlass, from the Spanish colonial period. Yours appears to be a loose copy of such. Nice swords.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 09:46 PM   #11
drac2k

Interesting.Thanks