Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th February 2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default To stop a berserk elephaant

It has now and then been discussed if it is possible to stop a berserk elephant, as described on the katar shown. The katar is from Bundi and dated VS 1907 - AD 1850-51, and the text on the katars says. This terrible edged weapon in the hands of the king of Bundee, brings happiness to Bundee and is capable of piercing the templess of elephant's, hence it is called the tongue of death.
The text is quite impressive, but the one who ordered the text could have been bragging. While looking for something else I found a note on the subject. Unfortunately I have not written from where the text is, but it seems as if it was possible to stop a berserk elephant.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 01:56 PM   #2
ariel

Anatomically this is entirely possible and I remember reading about such function by mahouts.
They were sitting on the “neck” of the elephant. Just like in humans the connection between the spine and the skull must be easily visible ( dimple) and palpable. The mahout stabbed the elephant there with the spear- like projection of the ankus, thus severing its spinal cord. Right away it caused the so-called quadriplegia , ie paralysis of all four extremities ( remember Christopher Reeves?) with inability to move even another inch.

Big game hunters aimed their shot between the eye and the ear of their prey: kind of “temple”, the shortest way to the brain stem: same effect. One must have been pretty strong to penetrate the skull with the Katar blade, but you do not become a Rajah just for nothing.

Neuroanatomy rules!

The only astonishing thing in this story is how did this guy manage to mount a berserked elephant that must have been running full speed.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 02:57 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you for the explanation.
I was also wondering about your last question.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While this is a grim discussion, and surprising given the postures toward cruelty toward animals, I think the 'lore' surrounding this katar is of course apocryphal. We know that these kinds of stories in much of legend and tradition are embellished and often full of hyperbole and allegory, and though the physiology of a penetrating blow to the temple is explained...……...the use of a katar in this deed is not.

Clearly the mahout is typically mounted atop the elephant in the first place so that would explain how he might have been in position to administer the fatal blow...…..but with an ankus.....NOT a katar. The ankus is of course hafted and allows the extension to do this...…...to do this with a katar would be of course almost superhuman...…...befitting the tale with this katar.

My further question would be, why would any mahout be mounted on an elephant that evidenced the signals of musth? While any elephant might ' go berserk' it is the males who experience this periodic circumstance, and it it quite outwardly apparent from secretions from glands situated in the temple areas (ironically) often running down the head.

It would seem that any mahout, whose very purpose is managing these animals, would be aware of the musth and rut situations and either isolate or avoid use of elephants in these. Thus the destruction of one of these remarkable animals could have been avoided.

For anyone interested in learning more about the amazing character of these powerful but typically gentle animals, read "The Sacred Elephant" (I forgot the author).

On an aside...............very nice katar of course!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 12:16 AM   #5
ariel

Jim,
Elephants went berserk not only because of high testosterone.
There are multiple evidential descriptions of them being frightened of cannons, wounds, running pigs whose skin was oiled and set on fire, etc. In such cases they turned around and ran through their own army, destroying everything in their path.
Yes, killing an elephant with a katar blow to its temple is indeed superhuman. But that must have been a unique case and the fighter was rewarded superhumanly: by governorship.
I do not find this story not believable : it was an unbelievable bravery, skill, strength and a lot of luck.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote