Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th November 2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Ken Maddock

Default 1788 light cavalry sabre

Hi
I picked up a 1788 light cavalry sabre, complete in its scabbard, re painted scabbard but complete
Blade has some pitting but a nice sword to get in any shape and I am happy to have it. These do not come up too often in Ireland and I understand they are reasonably valuable

There is no makers name on the sword
The grip is an obvious replacement but it is done a long time ago the peening is quiet old and looks to be of some age and the leather is rock solid
The guard wobbles a bit as per normal on this age sword
I have in the past done some work on 1796 LC with replacing grips, I am reasonable adept at fashioning replacement grips and fitting in without disassembling the sword.
I have included an example of my work on a 1796 LC, would anyone care to comment if I should fashion better replacement or leave well enough alone
Regards to all
Ken
Attached Images

Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Ken Maddock

Peening on 1788
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maddock
Peening on 1788
Hi Ken,
I am not qualified to give advice on whether or not you should replace the grips on your 1788 pattern sword as I do not know how the value would be affected, if this is a criteria, but if you can replace them as well as you have replaced the grips on the LC 1796 sword I personally would not hesitate as I think you have done a splendid job only wish that I could do as good.
I'm really glad that you have posted this thread as I have a similar situation with a HC 1796 pattern sword and would welcome your advice on how to remove the hilt from the sword as although the disc and knuckle guard are loose the grips have no movement at all and the pin through the ears and tang is seized in the tang. I have tried to remove the pin but am concerned that I may split the grips. You mentioned that you fashioned and fitted your grips without dissembling the hilt and I would really like to know how this was achieved. I will post some photos of my sword in the next day or so in order that you may better answer, hopefully assuming
that you will.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Miguel

Here are the photos of my 1796 Patt HC sword as promised. You can see how the hilt and scabbard are affected by corrosion although the blade is pretty good considering the age. I would be grateful for your advice on repairs to the hilt and scabbard depending on whether you think it worthwhile or better to leave well alone. Any comments and or advice from other members would also be appreciated.
Thank you.
Miguel
Attached Images

Old 17th November 2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Ken Maddock

Hi
Nice sword, a lot of original grip in plaid, I have only replaced completely missing grips, having all the original timber there would be something I would be very slow to move
I will do a few sketches of how I approach the problem tomorrow
I have no photographs of how I approach the job to hand but I will have a look and see what I come up with on the cameras memory
I will put this on the forum in the next day or so
Regards
Ken
Old 18th November 2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The M1788, like many of these once quite common early British cavalry swords, are now becoming quite rare. Naturally this would be presumed due to their being absorbed into collections and now static.

The restoration work you discuss and show here is remarkable, and most of all I admire your restraint. As a historian far more than collector, I favor maintaining and preserving a sword in as much original condition as possible aside from stabilizing any progressive corrosion and stabilizing broken or damaged components.
Over the years I have owned many swords which were passed over by collectors for their terrible condition. For me, these factors offered exciting opportunities to forensically study each weapon and learn from the often extremely subdued clues. I have found key regimental markings and details obscured and barely visible under patination which would have been lost to any vigorous cleaning.

I wanted to express this view toward restoration as a matter of inclusion and again, thank you for the sincere and respectful position on same you clearly afford these old warriors. Nicely done.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 04:50 PM   #7
Miguel

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your comments, I would like to see how you went about refurbishing your sword hilt but don't put yourself to any trouble as in view of your comment re the grip, together with the comments from Jim, I will leave well alone in case I mess it up.
Thank you.
Miguel
Old 19th November 2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Ken Maddock

Hi Miguel
No problem at all to give my procedure,
Unfortunately I am unable to find pictures of the process I took a long time ago
I did put the information on sword forum international
If I am ok to put hyperlinks to other forums I would appreciate it if you can confirm this or not
On the refurb quandary, I feel a lot of quiet heavy cleaning is carried out by some members on this forum, something I do only as a last resort
But to each their own I suppose, the thing is once you start then you have to finish and if the job goes bad you have a bitter pill to swallow.
I have only replaced when there was nothing there of the original handle.
Now on my sword that there is history of previous bad repair I am more stuck on what to do,
If this repair was carried out 100 years ago should I be the one to un do this work?.
Hard to know
Regards
Ken
Old 19th November 2015, 10:49 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maddock
... If I am ok to put hyperlinks to other forums I would appreciate it if you can confirm this or not...
No restrictions from this side, Ken
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Ken Maddock

Hyper link of my repair
Hope it works
Ken

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?109737-1796-LC-with-no-handle-(but-now-it-does)&highlight=

not sure why hyper link now working but put above into google and you will get to my post on handle making

-

Last edited by fernando; 20th November 2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Tried to fix it, but didn't work
Old 20th November 2015, 07:41 PM   #11
Hotspur

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?109737
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:54 PM   #12
Miguel

Hi Ken, am sorry for the delay in reply but the answer is no problem, however I could not get into the link you posted but Hotspur kindly provided the correct one. As I said when I first quoted I think you did a splendid job, even more so now I've seen your procedure. Thank you for taking the time, Well done.

Hotspur, thanks for supplying the correct link showing Tim's work.
Miguel
Old 29th December 2015, 02:32 AM   #13
elfina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
The M1788, like many of these once quite common early British cavalry swords, are now becoming quite rare. Naturally this would be presumed due to their being absorbed into collections and now static.
Hi Jim,

I'm going off on a tangent here but regarding your comment about the 1788 light cavalry sabre, I'm wondering if the same thing has happened to the British 1804 pattern cutlass. For a sword that was manufactured in what (I think) were considerable quantities and even taking into account the possibility of many being figuratively "lost at sea", i.e. through period use, I've noticed how rarely one of these comes on the market these days. I have one myself, an earlier one with fuller in okay condition, but I like it so much I would like to find another. However, I don't see any being offered nowadays, fullered or unfullered, and the ones that do come up appear a bit suspicious, with rather thick hilts (I've read that this is one giveaway of modern repros).

Eric
elfina is offline   Reply With Quote