Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th March 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Iliad

Default Indian Cobra Sword

Hi all,
Here are pics of my latest purchase. With exchange rate differences, and Customs duties, it cost me a bundle. But I like it.
Probably not so good for thrusting, as the weight is towards the tip of the blade and it is not well balanced in the hand. However, the serrated edge is sharp and with the weight balanced as it is, it would be a fearsome slashing weapon. Just the sight of it coming towards me would scare me to death, no need to hit me with it! Dated maybe from 1700's?
All comments welcome.
Best regards
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 09:02 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Hello,

I like these alot, but it seems they serve a ceremonial purpose rather then a combat one. I wouldnt want it as my weapon in a battle but would look nice displayed on a wall (of a temple?)

Or maybe its a statement of the bladesmith, showing how skilled he is.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 05:22 AM   #3
kahnjar1

I agree with Lofty that this is likely some sort of ceremonial or temple piece.
It does not appear as far as I can see, in Lord Egerton of Tatton's Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour book.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A truly fascinating example Brian!
As noted, these kinds of swords are intended not for combat, but are most definitely for creating a profound visual impression. While naturally the idea of ceremonial use seems likely, I believe with these I would suggest probably a bearing or processional type sword.

There are khanda hilted swords with these disc type features known from Almora regions in Uttar Pradesh in Northern India, which date from 16th century onward (Pant, "Indian Arms & Armour" plate CXIV), but the disc seems invariably at the blade root near the hilt. Elgood also shows similar types of sword, typically just as Pant, noting these are probably Pahari.
The Pahari are essentially hill people in these northern regions into Nepal.

Elgood, in his "Hindu Arms and Ritual" (p.120-21) notes that "...swords incorporating the chakra (disc) are considered symbols of the chakravartin, or universal king". He suggests the term 'ardhachakrakrpana' is used to describe these forms of swords incorporating the chakra. It is important to note that the huge 'Zulfikar' swords with serrated edges and enlarged bifurcated tip are also from the Uttar Pradesh regions.

Indications are that these elaborately designed swords were kingly weapons to proclaim the right to rule, and these regions were key as locations central to the rule of much of India historically. This example seems to have some reasonably good age and might well be 18th century, perhaps being used in courtly functions as a bearing sword as mentioned.

Well done Brian,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Iliad

Jim,
Thank you for your informative reply, of great interest. This lesser mortal salutes you!
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

My humble thanks for your note Brian, Im glad I could add notes of some help

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Multumesc

Default Indian Cobra Sword

Beautiful sword.
Multumesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
napoleon

Default very very nice

my comment is great piece , the hilt looks early to me ,whether its 1700s dont know , but i like it very much thanks for sharing it
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote