Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand
Default Kris (Keris) pic. from Thai forum

The whole thread 's in Thai.

http://www.gun.in.th/webboard/index....;threadid=9730
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 02:36 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi PUFF. Since this thread you linked to is completely in Thai (which, unfortunately, most of us can't read) i was wondering if you have a question here. I could be wrong, but i believe the first keris posted is what is referred to as keris coteng which i think is probably of southern Thai origin. This one looks to be in pretty poor shape, unfortunately. The other keris looks to be a Jawa keris of Surakarta origin, at least based on the dress which is all that is shown.
On page 2 they get into a bunch of Bugis style keris which may be from a number of different locales including the Malay peninsula. Then they post a number of the Thai form again. Most of these examples are in pretty poor shape as well.
The first keris on page 3 is a modern Madurese tourist piece followed by another modern piece in Jawa dress of better quality. They then seem to launch into a discussion of hilt evolution showing examples of both peninsula and Sumatran forms. This part looks most interesting. Perhaps you wish to translate a portion.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Default Translation request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
...The first keris on page 3 is a modern Madurese tourist piece followed by another modern piece in Jawa dress of better quality. They then seem to launch into a discussion of hilt evolution showing examples of both peninsula and Sumatran forms. This part looks most interesting. Perhaps you wish to translate a portion.
Naga Sosro then followed by Naga Sapta blade dapur. The 'hilt evolution', showing different examples looks interesting. The pictures looks familiar, though. Hmmm... one of mine and a few of BluErf's copied from KgNet. I would very much wish to have this portion translated if it's possible.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 04:01 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Naga Sosro then followed by Naga Sapta blade dapur. The 'hilt evolution', showing different examples looks interesting. The pictures looks familiar, though. Hmmm... one of mine and a few of BluErf's copied from KgNet. I would very much wish to have this portion translated if it's possible.
Yes, it would be nice to know what they might be saying about your theories.
Old 25th November 2006, 06:20 AM   #5
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

The thread 's just discussions after discussions, mainly focused on Kris. (There are other threads for Dahbs and polearms)

The first page 's a discussion about someone 's newly accuired Kris and the discussion went to its scabbard entrance, weither the boat shaped carving 's related with a Mahayana 's symbol, a Nirvana boat.

In the second page, someone showed his inheritage. And then a pic of partially cleaned blade of Kris in the first page. Soneone mentioned poison on the blade. Then, another guy posted an accuired piece (Coteng hilt/Naga blade ????).

The 3rd page start with a discussion about the "carved" blade (with a better example ). Then the topic moved to hilt classification. The first group 's called chicken, sicken chicken or sicken java. Then, the second class 's Bugis (with a nice whale tooth piece ) And then the 3rd group, bird men or Sumatra. The older form looks more human (Lord Shiva, long nose) than bird. Then another rare class of 100% bird form. Then pics of group of Java and then Bali.

There are some pics of carved Kris rack. And then example of Coteng (Sankla/Nakara) hilt. He make into wood-wood/metal-all metal groups. The last group 's Patani 's. Another guy showed seafan examples.

The forth page 's started with hilt collection and then blade terminology. Then examples of Kelantan (15 years old) and Sankla/Nakara (pre WWII) blades.
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Thumbs up

Thank you PUFF, for obliging to our request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
...the topic moved to hilt classification. The first group 's called chicken, sicken chicken or sicken java.
Still it is a point to ponder...
Old 25th November 2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Pangeran Datu

Sampurasuuunnn ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Thank you PUFF, for obliging to our request.

Still it is a point to ponder...
Hi Alam Shah,
Just surfing through.....
I tried to get to the link... but my computer must be outdated... I keep failing
Have you considered:
Chicken=Anak Ayam
Sicken Ayam=Anak Ayam Sejuk
Sicken Java=Jawa Demam..
Just a thought...

Cheers.

Amit munduurrr....
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 01:50 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeran Datu
... Have you considered:
Chicken=Anak Ayam
Sicken Ayam=Anak Ayam Sejuk
Sicken Java=Jawa Demam..
Just a thought...
Yes, these are the equivalent Malay names.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 26th November 2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10th December 2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Paul de Souza

Hi Puff,

Could you translate for me what is said in Thai for on page 3, reply #83 especially regarding the Tajong hilt with the swasa cap? Thanks.
Paul de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 03:51 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Paul. Nice to see you here.
You might want to send PUFF a PM to encourage his response as i am not sure if he monitors this side of the site all that often.